Aerostar and 'new' engine

I have an '86 Aero with a 3.0 FI blown (and I mean destroyed) mill. I'd like to keep the 5-spd tranny and put a 302 up front. The 6-cyl bell doesn't fit the 8-cyl engine...

Anyone know of a replacement bell that will mate these together?

I'm not looking to rod this van, so I'd think power gain shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Another thing I'd like to look for is a limited-slip rear. I know some Ranger rears are direct swaps (the offset ones), but I'm not sure what codes to look for. One of my local wrecking yards has a good number of Aeros and Rangers to pick from, so I may be good to go there.

Thanks for any info you may be able to provide!

Reply to
Shayne

A much easier swap, and one with a good bump in performance, would be a 4.0 in place of your 3.0. Same bell housing for the trans, no custom fabrication, since the 4.0 was an option on the Aerostar.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

I don't under stand where this "off set rear axle direct swap" idea comes from. The Ranger has leaf springs, the Aerostar has coils. I agree the 4.0 would be a much easier swap, there is a considerable size and weight difference between the V-6 and the V-8. There is barely any room between the front of the engine and the radiator with the 6 banger. Where is the additional 10 inches going to come from? That tranny will dump its contents all over the pavement the first time the clutch is dumped and the posi he is looking for hooks up. Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

OK. Not to be snide, but do you have any helpful info on the rear end?

As far as '10' inches, the clutch-driven cooling fan can be eliminated. In it's place, one or two electric fans (I think one, because there's no a/c) can be installed, even in a pusher config if necessary.

I'd also trust this tranny over it's automatic cousin. It hasn't given me any trouble with clutch-dumping yet...

Reply to
Shayne

Were the 4.0's available in a throttle-body config? The wiring under the hood is not the best, so I'm looking at using a carb'd engine. The yards around here have a few TB 302's that I can put a carb on. I can re-do whatever wiring I need to, but I'd like to lose what I can.

Reply to
Shayne

A bit further in, here, but Explorer rears can be used as well. Bronco II, too. I'm just looking for some axle codes for a limited-slip unit that can be swapped in. I'm tired of only one wheel spinning on the wet pavement when the light turns green. That's not clutch-dumping, either!

Spring perch/mount welding is also do-able. If it'll fit, it'll go in.

Reply to
Shayne

I'm 90% sure that the axle tag will have an L in it if it's limited slip. I.E. 3L55 is a limited slip 3.55.

CJB

Reply to
none

I can tell you pretty much for sure that the answer is no on the carb. The

4.0 is a cologne block like the 2.9, and the early 2.9's were carbed. However, I'm not sure it's a bolt-up proposition to put an early/mid 80's 2.9 intake on a 4.0. Besides the fact that the 4.0's were all fired by coil packs. You'd have to have the engine computer since you don't have the option of running a distributor.

BUT, it'd be very simple to get the wiring harness and computer to run the

4.0 when you get the engine.

I really don't think you can pigeon-hole a 302 in there, so I'm trying to give you a reasonable solution.

CJB

Reply to
none

Are you sure about carbed 2.9s at any time? The 2.8s were carbed and when they switched to the 2.9 in 86, they went fo FI. I bought a new Ranger Supercab that year and one of the selling points was the new

2.9 FI engine.

Matt

99 V-10 Super Duty, Super Cab 4x4
Reply to
Matt Mead

You may be right. However, the 2.8 was also a Cologne block, IIRC.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

The Cologne V-6 was/is a 60 degree V. The 302 is a Windsor engine and a 90 degree V, thus the bell housing is completely different. I believe Advanced Adapters may have a n adapter that will allow the 302 to bolt up to the transmission used in your Aerostar if it's anything like the Ranger. 2.9 for 302 swaps have been documented at

It won't be as easy as you might think. You'd be better off just going to a 4.0 liter motor if you want to retain your trans.

For limited slips, depends on what rear end you have. I've got a 7.5" limited slip unit in a box yet to be installed in my ranger. Should be fairly generic. Is the Aerostar some sort of odd rear gear? Keep in mind that the limited slip part is just the diff. The housing and the ring just need to be able to fit it.

Reply to
Mike H

I've checked on new gears for the center, no one makes them for the 7.5" it seems - at least aftermarket LS units/lockers. I'll just check my local yard for possible replacements some weekend....

I'm not sure of the gearing. I got hold of the info but have forgotten. However, if I'm reading the tag correctly, it's 3.65.

Main reason for a carbed engine is the state of all the wiring under the hood. Just about everything is rotting. I've re-done quite a bit of the main wiring from the engine compartment into the van, but the plugs for the components (alternator, a/c) are shot. Someone butchered the harnesses before I got it. I just want to make it as simple as I can. If I have to go to an older V6, then I will. I'd just like to keep the 5-spd.

Thanx for the info, and I'll be paying that website a visit!

Reply to
Shayne

What about a 3.8 Essex motor, early 80's models had carbs. Ford V-6 engines just haven't got the parts available, and I never figured out why.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

I wouldn't wish a 25 year old 3.8 on anyone. :-)

CJB

Reply to
none

I've noticed... I started looking for rebuild kits a while ago, but things are difficult to find.

Reply to
Shayne