'86 Aerostar

I'll be picking up said vehicle this weekend - 3 hrs away. By what I'm told, it has a standard tranny and the clutch needs to be bled. Whay kind of fluid does the hydraulic clutch use? Thanx is advance.

Reply to
Jinxter

Just Regular Brake Fluid

Reply to
Scott M

Thanx. I've got plenty of that!

Reply to
Jinxter

Just needs to be bled huh? It uses brake fluid but much like brakes they don't usually need to be bled unless something else is going on. Don't be conned by some salesman saying a slipping clutch is caused by a need to be bled, and don't count on being able to drive it back. Bob

Reply to
Bob

===================== Yep, a clutch that needs to be bled, wont slip. It wont go into gear though. So if its slipping, it needs a new clutch. Plan on *at least* $500 for the replacement if it is slipping.

Reply to
Scott M

This thing is coming home if I have to pull it with my Pinto! As long as it gets me to and from work, I'm happy. It'll be a temp vehicle while I V8 the Pinto.

Reply to
Jinxter

302....351.....460, just how wild are you planning on getting? Should be a wild ride. I put a 350 Chevy into a 72 Vega some time back and it was a blast. 12.90s at 110 on street tires through the exhaust. Surprised the hell out of a few challengers lol! Made a great sleeper. Bob
Reply to
Bob

Putting that rat motor into a Vega is a whole lot easier than squeezing a V8 into a Pinto. The shock towers in the Pinto eat up a lot of space. IIRC, the

302/289 fits without too much metal work but the Windsor or larger blocks might require a ton of welding and cutting.
Reply to
Reece Talley

I'm going with the 302. Problem around here is that the junk yards think stuff is worth more than it really is...

Reply to
Jinxter

Look here

lots of V8 Pintostuff.

mike hunt

Bob wrote:

Reply to
MikeHunt2

Yep! Been there, done that. In fact, there is more Pinto support than you'd think out there. There's good stuff in those groups and sites, and a lot of good info here, thru quite a few regulars that I pay heed to. Even though there's a lot of bashing going on, anyone who's been here a while knows who they are. Who knows... I may be asking a whole new slew of questions in the near future, so thanx in advance!!

Reply to
Jinxter

Got to Pensacola on Saturday to pick up the van... Hydraulic clutch seems to operate just fine. After some tinkering, got the engine started. Seems to run fine. Gears shift smoothly, but the clutch will not engage! Possibly the clutch assembly froze in the disengaged position, or were these good for the forks bending/breaking or slipping off the slave unit?

No matter, the tranny gets dropped this weekend anyway. What do you expect for $300?!

Reply to
Jinxter