Repaint choice

My '81 REALLY needs new paint. I've check all around the area and I have exactly two choices....Maaco or Econopaint. It seems body shops don't do repaint jobs anymore. I'm not looking for a custom paint job, just one where the paint won't fly off when I'm goin' down the road. I know a good job means good prep before laying on the paint. Anyone have any experience with either of these franchises?

Dave S(Texas)

Reply to
putt

I had a dodge shadow repainted at a Maaco. It was a problem of peeling paint from the factory. Repaint lasted about 2 years and the same thing happened.

Reply to
Tropical

Thanks for the reply. Your experience is what I'm concerned about. The problem you described is the telltale sign of bad prep work. From what I've been able to learn, the biggest reason there are so few paint shops is because of EPA regulations. I sure would like to see my old-faithful pretty again....

Dave S(Texas)

Reply to
putt

If you have peeling paint syndrome, which struck all the manufactures because of paint changes mandated by epa rules, the only option is the get all the old paint off. the idea of "sealing" the old and then finish over it never works that I have seen.

Most body shops don't want to play with it because most people don't want to pay what the job is worth, too many macco and worse yet Econo ads for paint your car for $299, sounds like a Jr Samples used car deal, call BR-549 today.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

I would think that even a "really" cheap paint job would have to cost over $1000 to have any chance of being worth spending any money having it done. These super cheap paint jobs are a good way to ruin a vehicle.

Reply to
Mark Jones

There is a better way, IMHO. I used to paint cars and do bodywork for hobby. However, the changes in paint over the last few years has me changing my mine on painting myself. You need $400 of pressurized mask to keep it from killing you. Not like the old acrylic and laquers.....I still do minor fixes using spray cans and color sanding. Followed by a polish and you can't tell it was hurt.

If I were you, and you wanted to keep the car, I'd take off the old finish, prep it, and get a guy with the right stuff to shoot it. How to take it off? Start with chemicals and see what the body shops use. See if it's not too toxic. You can also mechanically strip it using wire wheels on grinders and wearing a face shield and good mask. I use a flex sanding disc on a 4" Harbor Freight grinder, grit 220. You can do it sections, if you aren't worried about rust forming. Light stuff is ok. However, don't use a lot of primer anywhere as it may not be compatable with what the pro will put on top. HTH

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Update on stripping. I've since found out that they make a gizmo that looks like plastic steel wool or scruber to be used with a grinder. Doesn't hurt the steel!

MM^^

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Keep the car? lol Yeah, I think I'll keep it. It's just getting broke in now!

You are right, but I'm no longer able to do much physical work (a touch of C), so that's why I'm looking. Also, even if I could still do this, I have no where to do it.

I've found a solution though. My daughters long-time boyfriend/husband is a long time friend of the manager of a econo shop. According to him, their best job is $700 and he/I can get it done for $400. He knows how well I keep my vehicles, so I'm thinking he will make sure it's done right. Anyway, I don't have another choice, so....

Dave S(Texas)

Reply to
putt

Wouldn't be a good idea to use this on my Corvette. It would cost a fortune to have a car show grade paint job done on my car. Luckily the paint still looks great.

My truck is less than 3 years old, so the paint still looks real good on it too.

Reply to
Mark Jones

Soda blasting will do a very good job of paint removal. Soda blasting is what is used on fiberglass and composits as it kind to the substrait. When the Statue of Liberty was restored, an ARMEX baking soda system was used to clean up the copper skin. Soda blasting is great because it does not generate heat like some forms of abrasive blasting. Heat, generated while blasting, can warp the metal. Gator wheels will remove paint and some rust. Available LOWE"S.

Reply to
Clay

Plastic media blasting also works VERY well on removing paint without harming the sufrace underneath. One of the local custom rod shops uses this technique exclusively and convinced me to try it on some projects I've done around here..

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Lets not forget crushed walnut shells.

Whitelightning