An F-150 question ....

Does the latest Ford F-150 use "drive by wire" technology (ie: no cable or linkage between the accelerator and the throttle body)?

If so, when did Ford initiate it into the F-150 line.

Reply to
75yrs.experience

Yes it uses a "drive by wire " throttle. This started with the 2004 model. Also starting with the 2011, it uses an electric motor rather than hydraulics for the steering for all models except those with the

6.2L engine. That one still uses hydraulics.
Reply to
marlin.singer

Electric steering. I did not know that. I wonder if Ford customers have the complaints that Toyota customers had with the Corolla when it went to electric steering.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Jeff:

My question was prompted by an experience with a 2006 Mustang GT. Upon putting it into drive (auto transmission), it went full throttle all by itself. I WILL NOT but another vehicle with drive by wire technology. This occurred in a residential area, luckily there were no pedestrians at the time.

Reply to
75yrs.experience

I guess if you will not buy another drive by wire, you will not buy anything before too long as they are all going that way.

As far as the electric steering, I have not heard of any complaints, and I frequernt F150online.

Reply to
marlin.singer

I doubt there is anything being built these days that isn't drive by wire. Probably not much built in the last 5 years or so either.

Trivia... Ford introduced drive by wire in their product line in 1996 with the 7.3L Diesel. At least that is the first I am aware of. It's not even close to new tech.

Reply to
David Chamberlain

Along with the fact that the F16 Fighting Falcon is a fly by wire aircraft and has been since it was designed in the '70s.

Reply to
marlin.singer