Anyone try one of those do it yourself bedliner kits?

I'm talking about the kind that is "painted" on similar to Duraliner or Rhino Linings. I saw a do it yourself kit at the local parts store. I'd like to know how this has worked out for any of you guys out there. I don't much care for my plastic bedliner!

Reply to
Motorcity

The key to any of the bedliner kits is proper surface prep. You have to really rough up the surface with coarse sandpaper and get it very clean before you apply the bedliner goop. Lot of work but it will be worth it.

I had mine done by Line-X, it was hard watching them take sandpaper to brand-new paint. :-)

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Yeah, no kidding Matt.. I had to literally walk away from the Line-X shop when they broke out the sander.. I do have to say they did a fantastic job with the "installation" tho. It's been almost 4 years and it still looks new after a good scrubbing.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I had no idea Line-X sanded? The dealer took mine in so I did not see a thing. But I must say that I have never seen A home job that look decent, especially after a couple years.

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" <skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net> wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
MsyJsy

Gotta scuff up the bed so it'll stick somehow... As far the DIY bedliners... Ya get what you pay for. My SuperDuty (8' bed) was about $350 to get done. Worth every penny with all the crap I've literally thrown in there over the years..

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Well, $350 doesn't sound too bad considering the labor that's probably involved and I'm assuming they provide a warranty for the job. Thanks, gentlemen. Motorcity

Reply to
Motorcity

I thought that price was pretty darned reasonable as well. It's an extremely durable product as well..

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I had my Ranger done for 299, even cheaper when the dealer gave it back to me with scuffs & scratches all over the front end. I think it was from driving through those rubber curtains. They gave it to me for the dealer volume cost, $160.00, or at least I assume that is what their cost was, that was the last correspondence I had with the dealer.

"The OTHER Kev>

Reply to
MsyJsy

"" wrote: > I'm talking about the kind that is "painted" on similar to > Duraliner or > Rhino Linings. I saw a do it yourself kit at the local parts > store. I'd > like to know how this has worked out for any of you guys out > there. I don't > much care for my plastic bedliner!

better than plastic, but I didnt like it. It worked, but as with anything else it didnt turn out as good as on the box. the one I used was "spray on" and in the end it reminded me more of x-mas tree flocking than anything. I got it to be reasonably even, and cover all of it, after some time and swearing, but i wasnt impressed.

Reply to
xmirage2kx

Have my F250 shortbed done tomorrow, Line-X $475.00 I'll let you know the results. Gator was $459.00 but Line-X sure has an impressive web site.

Reply to
Ron and Diane

I'm sure you'll like the result. I surely love my Line-X and it's damned rugged stuff...

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Follow up,

Great job, very uniform. Don't look like cottage cheese. Lifetime nationwide guarantee. Life is good.

Now to get a cap or a lid? Always something.

Reply to
Ron and Diane

I sure like my ARE Z-series cap. I got a good deal on it because it was used. You can lock up your tools and toys back there. It's like having a pickup and a van. Just make sure you never break the back glass door. That was a very, very expensive mistake for me... Motorcity

Reply to
Motorcity