Big trouble with my diesel

Truck: 2000 F450 7.3l diesel - 220,000 miles - auto

I need a new turbo and a few new injectors (I've been told to change all the injectors). I'm wondering how much this should cost. I have 4 options, I'm wondering how much each might cost me (I'm in Maryland near DC):

1 - do it myself (Exp: I've only worked on gas motors)

2 - pay a local guy I know to do it, he works on big dump trucks, etc

3 - take it to an independently owned shop

4 - Take it to the dealer

Also, should I use ford parts or OEM?

Thanks

Reply to
trader.vic22

Hi,

I've got a '95 F-250 with the 7.3 diesel, well over 200k miles and still going strong. To try and answer your questions:

  1. - Without 7.3 diesel experience, you'll need a good shop manual, patience, and of course the proper tools... might take you longer than expected doing this for the first time.
  2. - Would be a better option for you if he's not too busy, provided he's familiar with the 7.3. I'll assume he has the tools since he works on big trucks.
  3. - If #2 doesn't work out (too busy or doesn't want to do it), then go to an experienced independant shop, again someone who knows the 7.3.
  4. - Do NOT take it to the dealer unless you have piles of $$$...

Do NOT use Ford parts... go directly to the Navstar dealer (International). They make the 7.3 engine for Ford. Parts are about half of what Ford charges... We have a place in VA. called Highway Motors that deals in International/Navstar trucks... I don't know if they have any stores/branches in MD. Might try doing a Google search for Navstar and see where your nearest Navstar dealer is.

Just my $0.02...

Reply to
Dzlman95

Your advice is worth much more than $0.02 with one exception. If you Google, Google search for Navistar not Navstar, unless you want a global positioning system...

DaveD

Reply to
Dave and Trudy

Thanks for the correction Dave... my bad... I was close... never said I could spell :-)

Reply to
Dzlman95

///snipped ///..

Well... I'll admit I googled Navstar and didn't realize the problem until I was half way down the list of sites and came across the message "Did you mean Navistar?" and below that were sites dealing with IH diesels not global positioning systems... I'll be we aren't the first ones to do that. Probly won't be the last either....Weren't no big deal anysomehow....

Dave

Reply to
Dave and Trudy