C6 "wide ratio" mod...worth it?

Before me, I have a very toasty and well used C6 behind a code H 390. I want to do a good build on the C6, and have been wondering what peoples' experience has been at using an AOD (or equivalent) front gear set in a C6 to give a 2.78 first vis à vis 2.46. I understand it's a "drop in" mod but the valve body has to be worked at bit (softer 1-2 and 2-3 springs) to get the shift points right. Anyone done this?

If so, and furthermore, has anyone replaced most of the thrust washers in a C6 with Torringtons to reduce drag? I hear that setting proper clearance can be tricky and that while lessening drag, the Torringtons have a finite service life.

I've talked to local shops, and I usually get a blank stare when these ideas are posed. 'Net sellers gladly hawk the parts, but give a paucity of info.

All comments welcome.

Reply to
TooSlow