cam specs

ive asked a few times in different groups and have always got different reply's....i have heads, intake, and carb all set to build a factory accurate, circa 1968 Torino GT, 390 GT...all i need is the correct cam soecs and i'm laffin...can anybody help me out??

Reply to
Jay Anderson

Only if you have the complete part # from the original cam do you stand a chance of finding the specs which may not be exact as manufacturers frequently revised cam specs in those days without changing a part #. If Crane Cams makes a blueprint series cam for your car/engine, they may have the specs listed on their site for that part #.

You may also find that there are cams out there that produce better power with better fuel economy and driveability for the 390. Don't get too hung up on OEM specs. They were running on the seat of their pants with many of those engines even at the factory level such that many design cams weren't much more than a bad noise in actual use. Call the tech support guys at Comp Cams and Crane for a bit of free help to get the best working cam and, you must absolutely resist the temptation of overcamming for your application and use.

Reply to
lugnut

||On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 09:07:01 GMT, "Jay Anderson" || wrote: || ||>ive asked a few times in different groups and have always got different ||>reply's....i have heads, intake, and carb all set to build a factory ||>accurate, circa 1968 Torino GT, 390 GT...all i need is the correct cam soecs ||>and i'm laffin...can anybody help me out??

That information is available in the Ford Muscle Parts Vol 2, Parts Interchange & Specifications. I have a copy somewhere. Email me at burkheimer at earthlink dot net. Or check ebay for a copy for your very own.

Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

here's a better description of that book:

Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 09:07:01 GMT, "Jay Anderson" wrote: ive asked a few times in different groups and have always got different reply's....i have heads, intake, and carb all set to build a factory accurate, circa 1968 Torino GT, 390 GT...all i need is the correct cam soecs and i'm laffin...can anybody help me out?? ---------------------------- Lugnut responded: Only if you have the complete part # from the original cam do you stand a chance of finding the specs which may not be exact as manufacturers frequently revised cam specs in those days without changing a part #. If Crane Cams makes a blueprint series cam for your car/engine, they may have the specs listed on their site for that part #. =A0=A0You may also find that there are cams out there that produce better power with better fuel economy and driveability for the 390. Don't get too hung up on OEM specs. They were running on the seat of their pants with many of those engines even at the factory level such that many design cams weren't much more than a bad noise in actual use. Call the tech support guys at Comp Cams and Crane for a bit of free help to get the best working cam and, you must absolutely resist the temptation of overcamming for your application and use. =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D000000000000=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D That's some real solid advice from Lugnut.I'd like to add that the OEM cam was engineered for a 10.5-1 compression ratio and far different fuel than todays.I would DEFINITELY not go with the OEM specs but would take Lugnut's advice and give the guys at Comp cams or Crane your particular comp.ratio,rear gearing,cruise rpm etc.and go that route.You'll get much better mileage and performance.

Reply to
Brian Orion