Changing oil through dipstick tube

I have looked with interest at those electric pumps that you can use to change the oil through the dipstick tube. Would it do a good job? It is just here in the winter time I do not have a real good place to do it and to be frank about it dont like crawling under the car.

It does seem as though these pumps would not be able to drain the oil as completely as a drain plug. What are your opinions?

Reply to
Don

You're right, it won't drain as completely. Plus, it's more of a hassle.

Put in a Fumoto oil drain valve & buy a couple of car ramps. Oil changes become very easy & non-messy.

-Jeff Deeney-

Reply to
Jeff Deeney

I used to pump the oil out via the dipstick in boat engines years ago. As far as I know the pump removed just about all the oil. I guess the pickup tube would have to reach the lowest part of the pan though. Good luck. jor

Reply to
jor

I agree with the Fumoto valve, it is a good product.

However, I have used both and I am not sure the fluid extraction leaves any additional oil in the pan. A pretty good article from "Ray & Tom aka Click & Clack" .... "whichever method you use, you're only going to get about 95 percent of the old oil out".

I have actually found the fluid extraction method to be very easy and non-messy....although, the oil filter is still a pain.

-

-- Curtis Newton snipped-for-privacy@remove-this.akaMail.com

ICQ: 4899169 Anti-Spam filter in place--

Reply to
Curtis Newton

Opinion??? If you don't like getting under the car, then take it somewhere for the LOF, hand them the $15 and have it over with.

Reply to
Steve Barker

And I guess that's your opinion. Very helpful. jor

Reply to
jor

. . ==== ==== Changing oil through dipstick tube Group: alt.trucks.ford Date: Sat, Feb 21, 2004, 7:31pm (CST-2) From: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Don)

I have looked with interest at those electric pumps that you can use to change the oil through the dipstick tube. Would it do a good job? It is just here in the winter time I do not have a real good place to do it and to be frank about it dont like crawling under the car.

It does seem as though these pumps would not be able to drain the oil as completely as a drain plug.

What are your opinions? ======= =======

Opinions?

yer not gonna flame anyone fer given there opinion...are yuh??????

welll......alrighty then!

My opinion is this..... "IF"...it's a road driven vehical..... yer a fool fer even considering it.

Marsh Monster ~will gladly elaborate if asked~ ====== ======

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Much easier solution: Tell yourself that you enjoy climbing under the vehicle. Get all fired up and climb under there and use the drain plug. Get the job done.....

Reply to
GoGoGoGo

Through the dipstick tube?

Sounds like a bum's way of pissing in public!

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

"Refinish King" had writtennews:7db1c.415$ snipped-for-privacy@fe03.usenetserver.com:

I would suggest taking it in to a shop and have the oil changed properly if you don't want to get dirty. You can't get the sludge out properly by sucking it out from a tiny dipstick tube and you'll get dirty replacing the filter any way.

Reply to
Barney

I would hope there is no sludge. There's none in my engines. And BTW, almost all pleasure boats (with stern drives) use the dipstick sucking method of changing the oil. It's the ONLY way. I agree, it wouldn't work on an automobile, because they're not plumbed properly. And it would also be foolish to do it that way on an automobile or truck.

Reply to
Steve Barker

"Steve Barker" had writtennews:raP1c.30920$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.rdc-kc.rr.com:

Perhaps not sludge but the dipstick does not touch the bottom of the pan. I even use a magnetic plug to check for fillings. The oil filter will get dirty as soon as the engine is started. Dirty oil has to be left in the engine using that method.

Reply to
Barney

Yep, there is no way in hell to drain the oil via the plug on either of our Baja's. They sell a little hose deal with plug that you can install and pass thru the transom to drain the oil but you would have to pull the engine to install it. We have sucked the oil out of the dipstick tubes a bunch. Goes pretty fast once you are accustomed to it. Would I do it on any of my street vehicles? Hell no.

Reply to
bomar

For what its worth, I just replaced the oil pump and screen in my truck, and the dipstick tube is a good 2 inches from the bottom of the oil pan. That 2 inches sure would leave a lot of dirty oil in the engine. I personally do not recommend it at all. If you really dislike getting under your truck that much, take it to one of the "quicky-lube" places. It doesnt cost that much more than doing it yourself, and at least you would have clean oil in your engine. I have a set-up in my barn that I can drive the truck onto and practically walk under it, so I dont have any trouble with maintenance on my truck.

Reply to
J Grant

The tubing that goes with the pump most certainly goes to the bottom of the pan on our Audi A4 and Lexus RX330. On both you can feel the tubing hit the bottom of the pan.

If dirty oil is left in the engine, please explain how when I remove the drain plug after using the oil extraction via the dipstick, no additional oil (actually a few drips) comes out???

-

-- Curtis Newton snipped-for-privacy@remove-this.akaMail.com

ICQ: 4899169 Anti-Spam filter in place--

Reply to
Curtis Newton

Curtis Newton had writtennews: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I am not here to fight with you. Use your method and I.ll let gravity do mine. I get dirty doing the lube and pulling the filters any way. SORRY I responded. Time to leave what I thought was a friendly news group. Been on it less then a week and already found it's not one to learn but spurn.

Reply to
Barney