Borken Disco dipstick tube

Help! The dipstick tube on my 95' 300TDI Disco has snapped in two, just where it bolts onto the side of the engine. I want to either repair it or preferably (if I can get one) replace it. However I'm not sure how to detach the bottom half from the engine. It looks like it just slides in, but it wont slide out and I don't want to apply too much force and break it even more. I'm currently holding the 2 halves together with duck tape! Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks for any advice, Kev.

Reply to
Kev Ellis

No, but be careful when you replace it - I remember a friend buying a LR which then constantly smoked and chucked out oil for no apparent reason. After much work and expense it turned out the dipstick had been fixed/replaced and was now too short resulting in overfilling everytime and the excess oil blowing out. . . . . . . . :(

Reply to
Exit

And the old [sexist] joke about the woman who asks the Halfords assistant for a longer dipstick, because the one she has won't reach the oil...

Sorry, Nikki et al :-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 22:25:24 +0000, Mother made me spill my meths by writing:

But wasn't that really the case with the first turbo diesels given to the Army? The Army kept blowing them up but it was found that the dipsticks were too short.

Myth?

Reply to
Wayne Davies

Could be, this one however had been broken off at the lip near the handle and repaired with a big blob of epoxy resin making the dipstick sit an inch higher and no-one noticed. . . . . .

Reply to
Exit

I've now got a new one from land rover, They assure me that it does just push in. It has an O ring on the end. I think my old one must have baked on. Just hope the duck tape holds out till the weekend!

Cheers, Kev.

Reply to
Kev Ellis