Check engine light 95 f-250 7.3 psd

Went out yesterday to start the truck. About 34 degrees so waited a few seconds after light to engage ignition. Engine started and then
stumbled and check engine light came on. I shut it down because it was running so rough and went out to drain the fuel. Restarted truck and very hard to start, running very rough when finally started and stumbling on acceleration. Check engine light still on. Haven't been into town to have codes pulled because I wasn't sure it would be safe for the motor to drive the 15 miles into town. I didn't want to risk further damage. Any pointers from you folks on where to begin and maybe an opinion on driving on into town. Thanks Chas
I bought an ACTRON code scanner from AutoZone for $35. It pulls codes on all Fords (you have to get the Ford tool).
<chasman3> wrote in message > Went out yesterday to start the truck. About 34 degrees so waited a

<chasman3> wrote in message > Went out yesterday to start the truck. About 34 degrees so waited a

When was the last time you changed your oil? How many miles on this 95? Are you sure your glow plugs are working correctly? Do you have a block heater plugged in?
You can pull the inspection plug on the rear of the block and verify you have oil in your HP oil pump sump.. If its within 1/2" of the hole you are good. Sounds to me like the HPOP is runnin low on oil and getting air in the system.. Either way, it probably wont hurt it to drive it into town, but I would try and see if the idle will smooth itself out after runnin a minute or so. If it does, you are probably leakin oil out of the HP sump and its starvin to make injection pressure at first start..
Ford Tech
Truck has 211,xxx on it now. Always scrupulously maintained and fluids changed as necessary. Oil was between one half to 1 quart down and not due for a change for another 500 miles. Changed oil this a.m. but problem remains. No power, running rough, hard to start, stumbling on acceleration. Check engine light still on. Ford Tech, where on the block is the inspection plug for the HPOP? Anything else that might be causing this? Guess I'll have to use the wifes' Exploder to run into town and pick up a code reader at the very least. Thanks
<chasman3> wrote in message > Truck has 211,xxx on it now. Always scrupulously maintained and

The HPOP resevoir is mounted to the top of the timing cover, and the plug is on the right side of the top of the resevoir.. The oil pressure sensor is on the opposite corner.

Got a code reader (Actron CP9125 OBD II pocketscan code reader) this morning and hooked it up. Showing NO diagnostic codes but showing MIL On (Malfunction indicator Light) meaning that a malfunction light should be on, (it is, the check engine). Doesn't tell me what caused the MIL and picks up 0 in the I/M (Inspection/maintenance) monitors. Oil level looks good in the HPOP. ok, Now what? Any ideas. Would rather not have to take it to a wrench if possible but I know my limitations. Thanks for any help.
Chas
<chasman3> wrote in message > Got a code reader (Actron CP9125 OBD II pocketscan code reader) this

I hate to say it, but your truck is OBD I not OBD II, so that code reader wont work with it. That is why you cant pull any codes. The OBD I trucks flash the codes out on the CEL/MIL by grounding a connector under the dash.. I cant remember where it is on your truck, but if you stop by the stealership an older wrench should be able to tell you where it is..

If you can find that plug and get it to flash the code out on the MIL then you can diag the problem, but for the life of me I cant recall that connectors location right now.. Check with the folks at this website www.oilburners.net , they have seen just about every problem there ever was with a diesel..
Ford Tech
<chasman3> wrote in message >>> Went out yesterday to start the truck. About 34 degrees so waited a

Your truck is OBD I, you need the ACTRON CP9015 to pull codes. Sorry, I should have been more clear. The guy at the parts counter should have provided more information too.
For most cars and trucks, OBD II was not used until the '96 model year. There are a few cases where OBD II was used from '95, but those are clearly the exception. OBD II was required from '96.
<chasman3> wrote in message > Went out yesterday to start the truck. About 34 degrees so waited a

Change the fuel filter see what is in it. Do you run a fuel treatment?