Check engine light comes on then goes out. 99 Ranger

It will stay on for a couple of days or a week, but then it goes off. It seems like it turns off after refueling (but not all the time) or it turns off after neighborhood type driving (as opposed to highway).

I know it needs to be checked out, but when its no longer lit up, I tend to forget about it.

Reply to
Biff Henderson

On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 03:16:51 -0400, Biff Henderson rearranged some electrons to form:

Take it to Autozone, they will read out the codes for you.

Reply to
David M

Check the gas cap and seal. A loose, or leaking cap will trigger the light.

Reply to
Gourm Hardee

Thanks Gourm, I think you have got something there. I saw that light come on a couple of years ago when the cap was not screwed on properly. I read in the manual to check the gas cap and - that was it. The cap I have now is one of those locking caps, but there is something really cheap about it even though I got it from Ford.

Reply to
Biff Henderson