Clutch fluid cap question

While having the various fluids checked in my '94 Ranger 4WD, my mechanic did something that I need to have more information about.

While checking the clutch fluid, he removed the cap, and cut off the rubber cup that displaces some of the fluid in the container. His comment, when I questioned why he did this, was that "you don't need that". He then filled the container to the top, and placed the cap back on the container. To my way of thinking, that displacement cup is there for a reason. It may be my over-worked imagination, too, but it seems that the truck isn't shifting the way it did before he cut this cup.

Why IS that rubber displacement cup in the clutch fluid, and should I get another cap? (Or another mechanic?) -- pj

Reply to
pj

Get another mechanic! Unless he has some documentation from Ford or another reputable source to qualify his mod, the guy owes you a rubber cup!

Gerard

Reply to
geewhiz

I would find another cap and mechanic. I have always been led to believe that the part on the cap that you speak of was to keep moisture from being so readily absorbed into the fluid. Look at it this way....manufacturers have been using these on brake master cylinders for years and years. Must be some reason as to why they still use them? I'm not sure what kind of fluid goes into the reservoir on a hydraulic clutch setup, but I do know that brake fluid is highly hydroscopic, and moisture in a brake system will wreak havoc on all the steel lines, wheel cylinders, calipers and such. Did he give any real reason as to why he did this?

Reply to
J Grant

I haven't "been led" on this one at all just fiNgured that it acted as an "anti-sloshing around in there baffle" for the fluid. ;)

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

Hmm....now that you mention that, it does make a lot of sense! Keep air outta the lines when going around a corner by keeping the fluid from sloshing.....either way, I would find another mechanic....and make the old one get me a new cap complete with the rubber thing!

Reply to
J Grant

This is all correct. I just want to add that the rubber allows the fluid level to go and down while separating the fluid from outside moisture.

Blair

Reply to
Blair Baucom