The real dope, block heaters, preoilers (Long)

A little background, I worked my way up the food chain from apprentice to mechanic to master mechanic then shop foreman, then shop manager in

37 years. I have seen all kinds of new thoughts, some worked, most didn't. We were based in the Chicago area and had nearly a thousand trucks of all makes with all types of engines. We hauled both short and long hauls.

The type of heated coolant is not new... we tried that back in the seventies. Basically it was a manufactured unit but it consisted mainly of a gas fired "water heater" inside the shop with a manifold of pressure and return pipes feeding flex hoses to the exterior building of about twenty "stations" . These flex hoses were fitted with LARGE quick couplers that are just giant size air type quick couplers. these then mated with couplers mounted near the front bumper and were routed to the engine All worked good, until one driver forgot to unhook the hoses before he backed away.... ripped the hoses and pressurized coolant sprayed about 100 gallons out onto the parking area......Happened twice. We decided it was better to have electric block heaters!

Pre-oilers are not new either....Mounted on the chassis about 8 inches in diameter and 12 inches tall.... worked on the cylinder, piston, spring principle...... spring loaded check valve and an electric solenoid bypass that was engaged when the Oil pressure bypass start-up button was energized. Average engine life was the same, Didn't see ANY improvement in engine life!! about $300 bucks each then. Wasn't worth the effort

And for the what it's worth dept.......We did an EXTENSIVE research on some of our trucks back in the sixties .... We NEVER EVER changed oil in them, only the oil filter and the luberfiner filter every 50K and added enough oil to bring it back up to full, usually about 10 quarts...... which is about 1/4th of a normal 44 quart system in a Cummins truck engine. Engines lasted just as long as complete oil change types!!!

Sorry about the long post...just thought that it might shed some light...or be interesting ...Thanks!

Reply to
Cruiser

apprentice

Whut er yew taukin about? Down at the locol auto repare place, my bruther Zeke wint frum apprentiss to shopp mangler in juss 3 short munths. Whut tuck yew so long? Yew muss bea a reel sloe learner?

Reply to
Silas

Well...from the way you type the english language, I wouldn't doubt that wherever you're from it wouldn't be that hard to move up as quick as that ;)

Reply to
Guardian

Well I'll have to humble my myself and say that I'm not a real pro, but I will say that I can replace everthing from oil to wheel hubs and do electrical work without having to pay someone else, therefore saving money and learning somthing that I can pass on to my 2 boys and 1 girl. Trial and Error somtimes go hand in hand, but I do know when to ask for help. Currently I'm gutting out the interior of my 84' F250 and totally redoing it. Planning to replace bench seat , floor covering, and rear seating and even recovering dashboard. Anyway the point of all this jibirish is to say that I care for my trucks enough not stick old iorns in the engine.

Reply to
EL PERRO GRANDE

My uncle has an old 1984 F250....owned it since it was brand new and it still runs like a top... he has always done all maintenance and any repairs that were needed and within his knowledge. He's not a pro mechanic, but he damn sure knows that truck inside and out...

Couldn't agree more.....

Reply to
Guardian

manager in

Akchewally, he wern't happy doin' that mechanik stuff so he wint to sckool 2 cross-train. Tew munths of skoolin' an now he's a brane surgen. I'm gonna git him a new blak-n-dekker sawzall fer his berthdey prezint next munth.

Reply to
Silas