94 YJ Clutch fluid leaking

Hello all My 94 YJ 2.5, 5spd is leaking clutch fluid and would like to draw upon the experience here. The 94 YJ has a sealed system and requires the replacement of the clutch master/slave cylinder and hydraulic throw out bearing which is all in one according to Chilton's. Since it is a sealed system, I assume if I am leaking clutch fluid then I would need to replace this system. Is this correct? I have been unable to find this part online; does anybody have a favorite online parts house? I am in Hawaii and parts are ridiculously high. I assume I should replace the clutch and pressure plate while the transmission and t-case are removed. Is this correct and are there any other components that should be replaced at this time? I appreciate any help you can give me I intend to tackle this on an upcoming weekend. Thanks for your time

r/

Jim

Reply to
Jimbo

I thought that 94 was the year they went to the external slave for both the I6 and the 4-banger but that wouldn't be my first misinformation . With the 4.0, you still have the "sealed" system

- master and slave - but the slave is external to the bell housing and can be changed without pulling the tranny. Advanced Auto for one carries the separate master and slave cylinders. There is a plactic tube between the two cylinders and the fittings are a push fit with a roll pin to lock the tube in place. It's simple to replace either one or both. The dealer sells a "set" which is pre-filled and includes the tube for (last I heard) $225 - $250. The Advanced Auto cost for both the master and the slave was about $140. Expensive little buggers. The setup I'm running came off a '94 YJ, so the 4.0L version was definitely the external set.

It's easy enough to tell which you have (> Hello all

Reply to
Will Honea

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

This could have been a late or mid-model-year change. The best thing is to crawl under the vehicle and verify which system he has, before trying to order parts. I would replace both master and slave, so as to get another ten years out of the system. In humid Hawaii, it wouldn't hurt to flush the system periodically, to postpone the inevitable.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
Jimbo

Replacing the slave would fix the leak. You should replace the master at the same time, for two reasons. One, it is likely to be as worn as the slave, and destined to fail soon too. Two, the fluid that is in the master right now is contaminated and will get into the slave, damaging it, unless you flush it real well. What I am wondering about, is whether you actually have the new easy-to-remove slave or the old hard-to-remove part. If you can indeed remove the part without disassembling the clutch housing, then that answers my question.

Earle

ridiculously

Reply to
Earle Horton

Earle I emailed you a pic of the slave cylinder to see if it matched yours. If it is, I'll replace the master and slave cylinders. It seems impossible to be that easy therefore I am really happy. Thanks for your help r/ Jimbo

Reply to
Jimbo

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Well I can't go out to the Jeep to verify for sure, but from the picture he sent me, he seems to have the external one.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton