Eaton ELocker Installation?

Hi all,

'95 F150 4x4 w/ no limited-slip differential:

Got stuck in the snow this winter. It was not fun to watch one front tire spin in conjunction with one rear tire, while the others two tires just sat on their lazy rear-ends. And this happens in my front driveway to top it all off.

So, have been looking at different options for getting traction next year. And something that has caught my eye is the Elocker. Has anyone installed one? How difficult and how's the performance? I think this is fairly new, so am interested too in any speculation on longevity and reliability.

By the way, if you buy a 4x4, my recommendation is to go ahead and get the limited-slip option.

Thanks in anticipation of your worthy thoughts.

Chris, Iowa

Reply to
Cromwell

I was watching the TRUCKS tv show the other week. Stacey installed a Locker in a Bronco rearend.

In town making turns at intersections one rear wheel would spin because they were both trying to turn the same speed.

Prehaps you could go to the TNT/TRUCKS website and find some reading material on the Locker he used.

Reply to
emcook

You're describing a spool, not a locker. Or at least not a properly working locker. He was asking about an Elocker. It has a wire that comes out of the axle housing. Apply power and it locks solid.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

You're describing a spool, not a locker. Or at least not a properly working locker. He was asking about an Elocker. It has a wire that comes out of the axle housing. Apply power and it locks solid.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

I don't think he really means it is locked in the corners. A correct-working locker in a lighter weight vehicle can still make itself known on the street as it can make mechanical noises, screech a tire and affect handling.

Matt

99 V-10 Super Duty, Super Cab 4x4 (w/factory limited slip that does better than I would have ever guessed!)
Reply to
Matt Mead

Ok, that would make more sense.

Reply to
emcook

I don't know about availability for newer models, but I used to run a Detroit Locker in my '79 Bronco before it died of rust - Built 400 motor, built C-6 tranny & 35" BFG's and it was *Very* streetable while being great off road and in our severe winters. Even the tight turning radius of the Bronco wouldn't exhibit any adverse behavior from the locker - it was passive unless under power, but when you gave it the gas, it was completely locked right now. I also liked the fact that it was completely internal to the diff (no wires or air lines) and you couldn't overpower the clutches like in some limited slips. Drove it like that for several years, had

*alot* of fun and it never disappointed me.

Reply to
Rhyno