72 F250: 6 conductor receptacle on frame under bed.

And in order they are GROUND, green, yellow, back, red, brown. Hence it looks like this plug was for a trailer or camper. This receptacle is wired directly in to the wiring harness and it's factory.

in my mind it looks like a 6-way flat plug receptacle. So does anybody know anything......and does anyone know where I can get a plug and pigtail setup for this? It would surely be a nicer job that cutting and splicing.

TIA

Reply to
DUMBnEASY

Go to your local U-Haul Store...they have all kinds of "adapters" for various trailer plugs...both trailer and tow vehicle...

Reply to
Patrick Gilmore

THAT would be one of your "camper special" features. I'm not sure where you can get the mating plug. I'll check around. My '76 came with it still in the glove box.

Reply to
Steve Barker

They won't have the six pole flat.

Reply to
Steve Barker

||THAT would be one of your "camper special" features. I'm not sure where you ||can get the mating plug. I'll check around. My '76 came with it still in ||the glove box.

Any good parts store should have it.

||> in my mind it looks like a 6-way flat plug receptacle. So does anybody ||know ||> anything......and does anyone know where I can get a plug and pigtail ||setup for ||> this? It would surely be a nicer job that cutting and splicing. ||>

||> TIA || ||

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

Ya, ok. I've personally never seen one except on this truck. I doubt if the parts stores have them.

Reply to
Steve Barker

||> Any good parts store should have it. ||>

||> Rex in Fort Worth || ||

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

Here's what he's talking about. Hence the word "flat". Check out mine at these two links

This is the mating plug that goes to my cab over camper. and
And This is the plug on the frame rail below the bed. Ya ya, I don't want to hear about the rust there.

Reply to
Steve Barker

That's a bastard all right. Borg Warner doesn't offer it, nor does Valley. We carry Pico, but I can't find a catalog. Pretty sure they don't make it either. I think someone else suggested a dealership, so I'll second that. Wouldn't hurt to stop at U-haul also.

|| ||So no, to answer your reply, I don't see one like that on this web site. ||(Or anywhere else for that matter.) || ||

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

DAT'S IT! DAT'S DA ONE! Who, what, when, where, how much? LOL!

And le'me tell ya, ya can't just get 'em at any good auto/truck/trailer/RV/FORD parts store!!!!!!1 SO :P! LOL!

Reply to
DUMBnEASY

I'm still a lookin' my self. I'm sure this one won't last forever.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Hmmmmm.....maybe now that I know what it looks like I can make a mold from silicon and just downright make one!

Lay a little Suran Wrap in the receptacle, pack it in with RTV deep enough to show configuration and where the connectors line up. Let it set up overnight. Pull it the next day. Buy some connectors and wire, drill for the connector config for those bullet connectors, crimp 'em on to the wires, plug 'em in to the drilled holes (should fit tight as drilling silicon makes a smaller-than-drilled-hole, lay on some more silicon to harness the wiring and voila'!

So OK....a little work; but better than the frustration of trying to find one, I think. LOL!

Reply to
DUMBnEASY

sounds like it would be a lot simpler just to put newer style ends on.

Just a thought, Jeff

Reply to
Hawk

You might try a search on Hoppy Litemate connectors. I would not waste time trying to find a mating connector though. Just find a good mating pair and start from scratch. You don't know how good the old connector is and it will take you less time to install a new one than trying to find a mate for the old connector.

Some of advice for anyone who likes to do their own wiring:

Don't use electrical tape to try to seal the splice or connection, it is very prone to failure and if it works it may be short lived. An excellent way to seal your wiring or connection jobs is to use 3M self vulcanizing tape and ScotchKote.

One layer of vulcanizing tape covered with a coat of ScotchKote, more tape then regular electrical tape just for abrasion will create a permanent seal that you can still get apart if you need to. It is easy to do and it is worth having the tape and Scotchkote in your tool box.

I have used this type of seal on splices on subsea vehicles and they stay sealed to thousands of feet. Even just the Vulcanizing tape will work but the above routine is the best.

Stephen ---> Just don't test your truck underwater.

Reply to
Stephen

Wouldn't be factory like. Naughty, naughty!

Reply to
Steve Barker

This particular receptacle is NOT bolted to the top of the beam. The harness was rerouted through the channel and the plug stops about 2 inches south of one of those sliced-hose nipple holes. I got enough room to plug something in to it; but not enough room to cut it and stick something else there. If ol' Steve won't spill the beans on what camper he has, and what year it is, and/or who made the plug I'll just deal with this one myself..... even though I "DO" always go to wreckin' yards with my steering wheel puller. :P!

Reply to
DUMBnEASY

||This particular receptacle is NOT bolted to the top of the beam. The harness ||was rerouted through the channel and the plug stops about 2 inches south of one ||of those sliced-hose nipple holes. I got enough room to plug something in to ||it; but not enough room to cut it and stick something else there. ||If ol' Steve won't spill the beans on what camper he has, and what year it is, ||and/or who made the plug I'll just deal with this one myself..... even though ||I "DO" always go to wreckin' yards with my steering wheel puller. :P!

"Assuming" that the connector is the same bullet size as the common 4-wire units, why not look at cutting two 4-wire units apart, use a 3-by-3 to plug into your receptacle. You could probly insert them, then bond the two parts together with silicone, possible inside some sort of shell for duability. Of course the wire colors won't match and you wouldn't have the large-gauge red wire. You might check out the 5-wire variant (which I saw in BW catalog?) in case it has a large-gauge wire, and start with that. Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

Hey bro! It has nothing to do with the camper. It came with the truck. AND I found out today, the pigtail is no longer available, at least from ford. For what it's worth, mine is an eleven foot mid seventies Eldorado Cab Over.

BTW, what "beam" are you talking about?

Reply to
Steve Barker

I like your idea, Rex; but you're also right that two of them are #10's. But the 5 conductor plug with an add-on might work. 'preciate it!

Reply to
DUMBnEASY

Frame beam. The one the bed bolts to. :)

Reply to
DUMBnEASY