Engine stalls when air temp gets hot

I have a 1994 Ford Econoline E-350. It runs fine in the morning or evening. Between the hours of 11 am and 5 pm, when the weather is very hot, about 100 degrees, it dies after about 20 min. Then it takes a few hours to cool enough to repeat this. The engine is not overheating, and the thermostate looks to be working as I can see the temp changes on the temp gage. I thought it might be a fuel pump or vapor lock problem. I friend who works on cars thinks it is electrical, maybe the distributor. Anyone else have this trouble? Thank you.

Reply to
Bob

Real similar to a problem I had on my truck, so take a look and see. A small bypass hose near the throttle body was spraying coolant to the throttle position sensor, shorting it out. Another thing to look at would be the coolant temp sensor (with a scan tool) to see if it's accurate.

Reply to
Steve

Ignition modules have been known to act this way. I believe yours is probably mounted on the fender well or the firewall. Unfortunately, testing it won't reveal much since it usually cools enough to work while you are removing it for testing. BTW, I had the throttle body coolant bypass hose fail on one a few years back like Steve described. Check that area for coolant as soon as it quits. Mine was easy to find since it would leak every time the engine was revved.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut