Exterior Mouldings

'81 F100. I intend to have my truck repainted. It's two-toned, but it will be one color. The paint place will mask the mouldings/symbols, but I want to remove them. A few pieces have nuts, but other pieces have some kinds of different attachments. The F O R D letters on the hood 'look' (I can only see one) like they are attached with rivets? Yes/No? Can I pop them off and then pop them back in? R the symbols similar? R the mouldings using a spring-loaded attachment that needs a tool to remove? The FSM has drawings, but no info on removing/reusing and I'm not experienced in body work....on vehicles anyway. Any help will be appreciated, thanks

Dave S(Texas)

Reply to
putt

Back in the days of old when I prepped my '65 Mustang for the paint booth, the letters had integral pins on the back that had washer-like thingies to captivate them. You can pop them off, but sometimes they will break.

Visit LMCTruck.com and you will find a source for new trim work. You can call them at (800) LMC-TRUCK, they have a free catalog of parts for your truck. The catalog has reasonably good pictures that show how many of the pieces are held on.

Personally, I think that if you are getting new paint, you should give serious consideration to new exterior trim pieces. It will look much better with new trim on new paint than it will look with old trim on new paint.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

The hood FORD might be the old style that you gently pry up with a small flat screwdriver.

The mouldings clips might pop out of the hole, they may be just friction type things holding them or if you can see the small screw on them they got nuts.

Reply to
Scott

I'm an LMC customer and did look into replacing the mouldings.....right up 'till the time I added everything up! $450 for the 10 pieces.....the old pieces look fine to me. If I break one of the FORD letter attachments, each letter is $27 to replace.....

Dave S(Texas)

Reply to
putt

I've located some small nuts, but other places have no access, so I guess they are some type of friction attachment. Well, I pry 'em and deal with re-attaching them later. Thanks

Dave S(Texas)

Reply to
putt