F-150 4WD: Replace 1 Tire ?

The spiel I am hearing is that if one tire is replaced, the resulting small diff in tire diameters can cause damage to an AWD system.

But my 2005 F-150 is 4WD, not AWD... and one of the front tires has developed a thump.

Am I OK with swapping in the spare long-term?

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

The new tire is going to turn at a different speed than the old tire. Not much, but a little. This is going to cause the differential to work a bit more.

If it were the rear, it would matter. Rear differentials use springs and clutch packs to try to prevent one wheel from spinning in off road or slippery conditions. Uneven tires would cause the clutches to continually turn, cause wear and friction heating. This isn't good.

Front differentials are usually open and it shouldn't be a problem.

You may find the vehicle will want to drift, however, because of the uneven tire sizes. Also, if you ever intend to rotate this uneven set to the rear (tire rotation should be a part of normal maintenance), then you are back to the previous rear differential problem.

Take away... I wouldn't do it unless you simply can't avoid it.

Reply to
David Chamberlain

examine thumper for uneven surface. Bad belt. Yawl go up n down at 10 mph ? Replace now or lose your bearings. Bearings are repacked every 50 replaced every 100.

Easy job. Use light jazz maybe Watercolors from Exsem. Seals come out with vice grips n a wood pry bar. Thinner, Gumout, Ptowels n performance gloves. For the labor 2 new front discs with new bearings/seals.

Buy 2 tires.. rotate rear to front n place new 2 on rear or if rears are down to 25% then new tires on front. Summer soon, grip to the front.

tho the truck prob has 2 computers maybe 3 for 4WD at ??? each ...the suspension is always coping with variable effects. a worn tire ? buy 2. Yawl not pore right ?

I bought an emergency Cooper 245/16 same size as the Toyo 10 ply A/T used here.

Not the same size ! when the Cooper goes on the front, the truck lists fearsomely. WHOA feels like we're slidnig off the road.

and the cooper is rubbery flexible. It collapses when I run into a curb where the Toyo just rips the curb out...

the Coop goes whoop.

buy 2 Cheapo. n check the alignment.

Reply to
avagadro7

ooooooooooo0

a simpler perspective: the design is for coping with road and turn variation not tire diameter variation. Tire variation is excessive over design.

Does that have meaning ? directly proportional to length of use age and system's age.

Reply to
avagadro7

Cress... what's happening ?

Reply to
avagadro7

Per snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com:

Tire turned out to have hit one too many potholes.

Bought a new one - same make/model as the other side....

Tread a *little* thicker..not much... maybe 11 thou....... but it doesn't want do drift or pull, so I guess it's all right.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

BREAK IT IN on the skid pad.

Reply to
avagadro7

This is an old thread, but I have a 4WD Chevy truck, and I think I have

4 different brands of tires on it, with different amounts of wear. However, all are the exact same size (tire numbers and letters). I hav never had any problems.

When a tire goes bad, I just find a used tire that's the same size and change it. A thumping tire can do damage to the truck if it's not changed promptly. (plus be dangerous).

(Of course Chevy trucks are built better than Ford)..... That's my opinion based on experience!

Reply to
Paintedcow

replying to (PeteCresswell), 4Wheely wrote: What tires are you using? It might not be a good idea to just install a new tire then leave the old ones still running. By the way, if you're looking for good tires, check out Toyo tires. Bought it from 4WheelOnline.

Reply to
4Wheely