Forester Tire Replacement - Question

I am going to be getting new tires for my 2003 Forester. I dont think I will be replacing them with the same stock OE tire (Geolander G900). That being said, if I buy a different tire, do I also have to replace the spare tire too with the same brand? Or, will having the Geolander for a spare only be ok for a short term answer to get to a place to address the flat?

I have heard that the AWD should have the same tires on all 4 wheels - but wonder if its THAT big of a deal to have one different in the event of an emergency such as a flat.

Any advise would be appreciated. THX! Dominic

Reply to
Dom

I think there are much better tires for less $$. How long did the G900s last you? For many of us the G900s don't last especially long, and don't perform especially well.

No. Most AWD systems require the tires to be fairly close in size (check your owner's manual for specs). Whatever brand your tires & spare, as the tires wear, the spare will be too large, and you shouldn't drive much on the unused spare along with 3 worn tires. Unless you do a 5-tire rotation pattern. Which means buying non-directional tires, and having matching wheels. If you have an X, probably your wheels match, if XS or XT the spare wheel is probably different.

.
Reply to
David

Right now, I have 43,000 miles on my Geolanders. They are ok on dry - but in snow they are slick...hence the need for new tires. Up until the last few thousand miles, I have been relatively satisfied with them

- especially when I hear the experiences others have had with them. I have an XS and the spare is a full size alluminum spare that matches the other tires/wheels exactly.

I am not going to change the size of the tire at all. Just the brand. Therefore, if I get a set of Goodyears or Michelins, and one of them go flat, will putting the Geolander on the car to get to a place to fix the flat tire be a problem? I know I wouldnt be able to leave the Geolander spare on for too long w/o any problems. I was just wondering if I would experience jittery response from the AWD system or other nasty behavior while the Geolander spare is on. If that is the case...should I bother replacing the spare too?

I am not rotating or have intentions on rotating the spare into mix.

Incidently, I am strongly considering the Goodyear Triple Treds as a replacement.

Thanks for your reply! Dom

David wrote:

wheels -

rotation pattern. Which

Reply to
Dom

[...]

David wrote:

wheels -

rotation pattern. Which

Reply to
Dom

The point about the size is it changes with wear. Unless you do a 5-tire rotation, the spare size will often not match the other tires.

Reply to
David

but wonder if its THAT big of a deal to have one different in the event

of an emergency such as a flat.

Reply to
jabario

IF it is an automatic tranny, your Owner's manual should direct you to use the FWD Only fuse option (probably in the fuse box under the hood) when using a different sixe spare.

The problem is, any different circumference (different by maybe only 1/4 inch!) is detected by the system as slippage and the AWD will be attempting to redirect torque until there is no slippage sensed. This can burn things up.

If the Geolander you keep is a slightly larger circumference than the new tires you buy, you may able to find a shop that can 'shave' it down.

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

snipped-for-privacy@backpacker.com wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I think you folks are missing the point to my question.

1) I am not going to rotate the Geolander spare at all (which is new). 2) My new tires will be of the same size - just different brand.

My concern is....if I get a flat with these different brand tires, will it matter (for emergency purposes) to use the Geolander spare? I would not keep the Geolander on permanently. It would be on only for the time to get the flat tire fixed. However, do to the different tread design (even for the temporary period), will this be a problem?

THanks for the replies so far.

Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote:

Reply to
Dom

Go to Tire Rack.com. They have the specs, including circumference, for all of the tires. Check to see the Circumference difference between the Geo's and what you intend to purchase. I did change all five of my Geos to Triple Treads but I traded my Geos in at 17,000 km and got $50/each for them at the shop, essentially getting the fifth tire free. BTW I highly recommend the Triple Treads. If I recall there is a differential circumference between the TT's and the Geos. Tirerack has specs on revolutions per mile etc. I think for short emergency use a small difference would be inconsequential. But think about if you cut one of your new tires even 15K down the road. If you can stretch to it it would be worth while changing the spare out as well. I did notice all tires have a slight difference in circumference even with the same nominal dimension.

I don't think he missed your point. He specifically said that the circumference of a new tire being off by as much as 1/4" could cause a problem with the automatic transmission AWD system - if you forget to insert the front-wheel drive fuse. If you've got 4/16" wear on your tires, they're already 1.5" smaller in circuference.

It's not a problem as long as you don't forget to insert the front- wheel drive mode fuse. However - isn't there ideally a five tire rotation pattern for full-size spares? Or does the full-size spare come on different rims?

Reply to
y_p_w

Let me clarify. He said the difference in circumference of 1/4" could potentially damage the AWD system. If you need to use a relatively unworn full-size spare with worn tires, use FWD mode.

Reply to
y_p_w

Ah...thats one point I didn't clarify. Its not an automatic. Its a stick shift (2003 XS).

Does that make a difference? I would think so, being that the stick shift is a mechanical AWD system. With that in mind....would the spare (used for emergency purposes) be harmful...used for less than 100 - 150 miles?

Dom

y_p_w wrote:

Reply to
Dom

If you replace all tires at once you will not have a problem. If you do it will be a warranty issue and its free. No manufacturer will make a system too fragile or they will end up paying too many warranty claims. Use the fuse if you require the spare but dont be too afraid when replacing the other four.

Reply to
jabario

And you had us worrying about nothing. ;-)

It should be fine. My WRX 5-sp comes with a compact spare and no FWD fuse connection. The mechanical diffs should be able to cope with even a compact spare as long as I keep the speed down. Yours should have no problem. You might not even have to worry about staying under 50 MPH with a full-size spare.

It's the automatic transmissions with the "electronically managed continuously variable transfer clutch" AWD systems that will go batty if the tires are off in size. That's why they include the fuse connector to turn on front-wheel drive only.

Reply to
y_p_w