F-150 Repair questions

Hi, I have a 95 F-150 4WD (5.8, E4OD, 150k miles) that we use for towing. It's done well, and I've fixed a few annoyances, but it has some mechanical items I would like an opinion on. I'm accustomed to doing nearly all my own work by myself and w/o air tools, but since it won't fit in my garage, I fear some of it may be unreasonable. At least I don't need to jack it up to get underneath it.

Here's the laundry list:

  • Ticking sound from right bank under throttle, in time with engine RPM. It's perfectly consistent and around 2 ticks/second when near idle speed. I wanted to check the EGR tube but stopped short of attempting to disassemble it when I saw it resembled heavy plumbing. As well, the manifold didn't show any cracks but it looked very tight and very rusted to attempt to unbolt it for inspection. I looked into checking the timing, but it seems there is no timing adjustment on these 95s. Any tips, or suggestions how to diagnose and repair as a DIY or how bad$$ it might be at a shop?

  • Oil collecting around oil pan. It's not enough to generate a puddle, but has begun marking the parking space. I suspect pinhole corrosion leaks in the pan, or dripping from the mainseals. If it's any of these problems, it sounds very messy to repair them on my back in a parking space. Any help for diagnosing this and determine how urgent this job is.

  • ATF collecting around tranny pan. Again, it's just enough to wet the pan. I was planning to drop the pan to change the fluid and install a basic Transgo shift kit. But this could become one massive mess even with a 3'x5' metal catch pan. Is there any way to do this without messing up the parking space?

  • Fuel tank leakage and/or bad check valves. The rear tank just pumps to the front tank, and when it's full it seems to have a slight leak near the rear filler neck. Is the filler neck, valves, etc easy to see when I have the tank dropped? (I can drop the tank myself, but removing the bed sounds like a 2-3 person job, and obviously less convenient).

Tips, links, advice appreciated.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

Check the spark plugs and the holes. Plug may be broken. I recall a problem with plugs becoming loose in the holes on some v-8 engines. I think there was a recall because of this.....

This is in the catagory: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Replacing the gaskets/seals isn't much fun. You may have to lift the engine just to get the pan out.

Since you plan on fluid/filter change anyway, using the correct procedure for dropping the pan will not result in a mess...although I'd use a larger tub. If you intend to keep the vehicle for a long time, you might consider installing an oil-drain in the pan. There are kits available for this job.

A 'Pandoras Box' job. If there is a fuel leak, it has to be fixed. I suggest leaving this to someone experienced in this work. Gasoline isn't something a diy'r should be messin' with. Hospitals are pricey....

Dave S(Texas)

Reply to
putt

Thanks for the response.

Plugs & wires are new, and were torqued appropriately. I believe the ticking did not change from the original to new plugs. However, I suppose it's possible one of the bores has some grit in there preventing a good seal.

Well we're only putting a couple thousand miles/year on the truck, but it pains me to see oil on the ground. Do you know if it's possible to lift this engine (351w) a bit from below?

I did pick up a drain plug kit. I'll have to look out for a bigger tub - right now I have a 5-qt drain bin and a 5'x3'x1/2" metal pan. Is is possible to empty a few quarts into the bin at a time, and use the pan to catch drips/slop?

Well I've done fuel line work on other vehicles - obviously the danger is when you're using any metal tools. I'd take it to a shop, but I'm afraid they'll take me to the cleaners on parts prices (charging $350 instead of $200 for the Ford OEM FDM, or installing an aftermarket part that may not last as long). I might start by simply removing the bed for a look-see sometime when I have a helper.

Thanks again,

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

No I'm not talking about something minor like grit, I'm saying the problem was in the heads. Plugs 'popping' out of the hole! The 'ticking' sound was the first sign.....

As to the fuel problem: you are the best judge of your experience. Gas/gas vapors in the confined space of a gas tank are a much different ballgame than, "I've done fuel line work".....

Dave S(Texas)

Reply to
putt