F-150 Supercrew Engine Revving with no added power?

Intermittently my F-150 Supercrew 2001 5.4(?)L (gasoline) truck will sound like it's revving like crazy, but there's no added power to go with it. I'm having trouble remembering to look at the tachometer when this happens, but I think it really isn't increasing the rpm's. What it really sounds like is a big air sucking sound more than an increase in rpms. Does anyone have any idea what I'm trying to describe and what it's all about? It even seems like a loss of power when this is happening.

Reply to
Bryan

I'll bet it is the cooling fan clutch engaging. Does this only happen when it's hot and at low speed?

Reply to
Mark Olson

Yes.

Reply to
Bryan

I second that motion.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

So what is the deal with the cooling clutch fan? Is it behaving properly? If not ...

Reply to
Bryan

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 05:10:31 +0000, Bryan rearranged some electrons to form:

Normal, as long as it's not overheating.

Reply to
David M

No sign of overheating. Thanks to all!

Reply to