F-150 truck

I have a 1986 Ford F-150 V-8 4spd, it's in very good condition and I want to keep things running. Just lately I noticed that the A/C doesn't seem to have a full charge. Has anyone had any luck with converting theirs to the new refrigerant? Please e-mail me if you can share anything about it. Thank you ! snipped-for-privacy@fmtc.com

Reply to
MA

You have been fortunate if your original charge lasted this long.

I had my '89 converted a few years ago (5 or so) and when I sold the truck this year it was still blowing ICE cold. I swear sometimes it actually blew frost out of the vents! This even though the tech told me that the R134 would not be as efficient as the old R12.

I had the entire system replaced including the comprssor, drier, hoses, basically everything but the condenser and of course the R134 freon for $600. I know they gave me a deal at the time, but still even if it had been a couple hundred more it was money well spent for here in Atlanta. The truck is now in Florida and I'm sure the new owner appreciates good A/C there too.

If by chance you are in the Atlanta area I'd be glad to give you the name of the shop.....

Reply to
johnH

My F150 was low on freon, so the local mechanic vacuumed out the R12 and put R134 back in.

He changed nor modified nothing, except for the installing the appropriate R134 charge adapters fittings.

That was 13 months ago and everything is still working fine.

My Dad's '89 truck had the same thing done to it 15 months ago, and the A/C is still works.

Reply to
Eb

He might not be, but I am interested in who did your A/C work for you. I need to replace the compressor and recharge my system. For what I have seen, I can barely buy the parts for $600 so maybe he gets a better discount. Anyway, please let me know the name of the shop you used here. Thanks in advance.

Tim

Reply to
t_puls

I had an '89 pontiac that I ran with no AC for 5 years, because I got several estimates that included replacing the orfice, dryer, and compressor, all in the $600 ball park.

Well, last year I was moving and driving the car cross country from CA to MO and wanted to have AC for the dessert. Being a cheap/poor fellow, I thought "what the heck, I'll try one of those changeover kits. The system is dead already, if I have to, I'll disconnect the compressor clutch wire."

Low and behold, that $30 dollar kit, with 3 cans of R134 +oil, and 15 minutes later, my long dead AC was cold as ice.

Now, reallistically it should have been pumped down to vacuum first, but it is still working great 3 years later. I remember when it vented originally. I was in line at the drive through, on a nice cool evening. It dumped and frosted up my windshield. A couple shops said the compressor looked bad (without testing it) and it sat for 3 or 5 years.

Anyway, R134 works great, its in my '96 f150, and its about the coldest of any vehicle I've ever been in. Seriously it will cool the cab to 60ish and a 90plus degree day.

Reply to
Jeremy