Which F-150 to buy??

I'm looking at retiring my 97 Mazda B4000 -- 5-speed, 4WD. Good truck but need a little more bed room and it's having more problems than I care to screw around with. Looking at a new F-150 -- or gently used. Want to spend the least amount of $$$ possible. Plan to drive the truck until I can't drive any longer (I'm 63 and in damn good shape).

Need some suggestions.

I see on the Ford website that the F-150 comes with V-6, V-8, or big ass Triton V-8. I am certain the V-6 or small V-8 is all I need.

I DO NOT tow boat, RV trailer, 3 yards of wet concrete, horse trailer, or a string of boxcars.

I DO tow:

-- 3-4 times a year a 5X10 utility trailer loaded with furniture;

-- 2-3 times a year an old VW Beetle, with a tow bar so it's on its own wheels;

-- 5X8 enclosed trailer with household stuff.

From time to time, I haul the following stuff in the bed -- one at a

time, not all together:

-- big pile of 4X8 plywood or drywall

-- cooler full of beer and ice

-- 1-2 cu yds of mulch

-- cooler full of beer and ice

-- half pallet of bricks

-- 12-inch Dobsonian reflector telescope

-- cooler full of beer and ice

-- 15 80-lb sacks of Sakrete

-- Troy-Bilt Horse tiller

-- 1-2 cu yds topsoil

-- cooler full of beer and ice

-- John Deere lawn tractor

-- old black-and-tan coon hound

-- damn cat sometimes sleeps under the tool box and ends up riding around in the bed

-- misc carpentry, electrical, masonry, roofing tools including air compressor and nail guns

-- cooler full of beer and ice

My B4000 is 4WD and I need 4WD every now and then.

I'd like to have a little extra room behind the front seats but don't want the crew cab (too big, too many $$$). Need the 8-foot bed. Need power steering and brakes, A/C, CD player. Prefer 5-speed and manual

4WD but I guess I'll have to accept automatic. Don't need power windows, power seats, GPS, leather, any of that other shit.

Questions:

Is the V-6 sufficient for me??

Is it cheaper to have the dealer install frame-mounted hitch and bedliner, or, should I get aftermarket?

Thanks.

Reply to
Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names

If you don't want an automatic, just buy you an F250 gas burner with a manual transmission and 4wd. They don't cost any more than an F-150 with the same trim level, and they're a lot more simply built. The F-150 is built like a great big car with 50 suspension links.

Reply to
Joe

Yes V-6 is fine for you, although you might find no better fuel mileage and less power than the 4.6 V-8.

Of coarse as a rule the hitch installed by the Ford dealer won't be "cheaper", but you will have to ask the dealer you are dealing with, they set their own prices.

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody