F-250 Diesel

Can anyone please explain to me where to find the fuel/water drain on a 2000

7.3 diesel and what it looks like? The light has flickered a couple of times, so I guess I need to drain it. Even after looking at the diesel supplement to the owner's manual and a Haynes manual, I still can't find it. Those references don't show what it looks like, just the area of where it is, somewhere behind the coolant reservoir on the passenger side. TIA
Reply to
Robert C. Denny

You are not even close. You either have the wrong manuals or whoever wrote them was on crack. Get a bucket or something to stand on if you are less than 6' tall. On top of the engine, on the front there is a large black plastic panel with

2 bolts. Don't remove that. From the passenger side of the truck look under that panel. You will see a round thing with a black lid. That is the fuel filter. On the bottom of the back side of that is a little yellow lever. Look really hard, it's there. Flip the yellow lever (OK, I forget which way) . Diesel will now drain all over the place from below the engine. Flip yellow lever all the way back. Done. BTW, you should change the filter ever 15,000 miles. Ask if you want to know how.
Reply to
bomar

Sometimes you have to loosen the fuel filter cover to get it to drain properly. This is the big black lid under the black plastic cover. Lay a screwdriver on it's side to loosen the cover. Draining and filter replacement can be done without removing the black plastic cover that is bolted on.

Reply to
F J

You don't need to loosen anything. The next time you need to drain it, do it while the engine is running. If you want to drain the water without the engine running, just open the petcock and turn on the key and the fuel pump will pressurize the canister. No tools are required either way.

Reply to
JS

Just make sure you have a bucket ready or do it over dirt.....Unless you have someone you don't like then do it in his driveway:)

Reply to
JSMMV

It is behind and under the plastic cover with the two nuts and the logo on it. The drain tube comes out near the passenger's side wheel well. I bought a piece of hose and a clamp so I could have a convenient place to catch it.

Reply to
Chris Hill