F-650 Pickup

My son just bought one. This thing is amazing!

PanHandler

that is awesome. Saw pics of the GM equivalent and this looks better IMO.

woodee

PanHandler wrote:

Reply to
woodee

Even though the GM you saw was only equivalent to the F-450, not the F-650, I agree, they look silly...

Reply to
My Names Nobody

Well since you can order the GM all the way up to the 8500 series, I think it matches Ford. But here's the real crux of the matter in my eyes, putting a pick up truck bed on a medium duty truck is silly, be it ford, gm or dodge.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

I like it, now I wonder where to get a topper for the truck... maybe a two room model.

Henry

Reply to
Henry

Agreed, I dont know of any application of a pick-up that say a F350 won't handle.

Reply to
Rob

Some of the heaviest 5th wheel travel trailers are so heavy that they can exceed an F-350's capacity. An F-450/550 is built to handle the heavier load and they are close to the same size as an F-350.

Reply to
Mark Jones

Do they make toppers with stairs?

Reply to
PanHandler

Like this one?

MC

Reply to
Mark Cooksey

Yeahbutt . . . That 450 is rated for 26,000 GCWR and 17,000 Trailer. The new 350's with the tow boss package are rated for 26,000 GCWR and

19,200 Trailer.
Reply to
Greg Surratt

Looks nice. That is what I would want if I were towing a 5th wheel.

The entire suspension of an F-450 is heavier compared to an F-350. I wouldn't want to be towing at anything close to the full rated capacity of a truck. I prefer to have a safety margin.

Reply to
Mark Jones

Tow Boss, Snow Boss. The actual ratings vary according to the weight of the truck, and transmission choice, a loaded diesel 4X4 dual rear wheel crew cab weighs a lot more than a stripped down standard cab 2X4. That extra weight translates into less carry and tow capacity.

Besides you have your figures wrong.

According to Fords 2006 RV & Trailer Towing Guide, (RV-VER7610-0805); The 2006 F-350 diesel 4X4 Crew Cab dual rear wheel is rated at a MAXIMUM of

26,000 GCWR, and 15,000 pounds maximum loaded trailer weight for conventional towing, and 18,100 for fifth-wheel towing. While the 2006 F-450 diesel 4X4 Crew Cab dual rear wheel is rated at a MAXIMUM of 30,000 (33,000 for the F-550) GCWR, and 16,000 pounds maximum loaded trailer weight for conventional towing, and 21,100 (24,000 for the F-550) for fifth-wheel towing.

You really need to stop by a Ford dealer and actually look at the differences between the F-250/F-350 and the F-450/F-550s axels and brakes. The rear axel on the F-450 is literally twice as big as the measly axel under the F-350. The F-450 has nearly twice the brake surface, the F-350 has 63.2 square inches of brake lining surface while the F-450 has 111.2 square inches of brake lining surface.

Your Yeahbutt doesn't reflect well on you...

Reply to
My Names Nobody

People today have a screwed up idea of "camping". Got have hot and cold, bath tub and a shower,,big screen tv, central heat and air.. they park it in an over glamorized mobile home park somewhere and never venture out of it. Might as well have stayed home.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

"Camping" Doesn't have anything to do with a $30,000-$160,000 5th wheel trailers and their $50.000+ tow trucks...

Reply to
My Names Nobody

I never said anything about which options or whether it was a crew cab/standard cab or 2x4 or 4x4. I was merely pointing out that Ford has an F-350 that has better looking numbers than the F-450 shown in the link.

I will agree that the running gear on the F-450 is probably better suited to the tow ratings.

Reply to
Greg Surratt

Hence, which is why many moons ago people stopped calling them "campers" and "motorhome's". They are now "Recreational Vehicles"!! :)

Along that note, when I was a kid in the '80's, I traveled to 48 states & two countries all by a 11' 1974 Coachman slide on on the back of my Dad's

1974 Chevy crew cab. My parents were teachers and we'd spend 1 summer month traveling with my Aunt & Uncle and their kid. Adults got the A/C while traveling while we sweated it out in back, then when we'd get to a campground, we got kicked out into tents, while the adults plugged in and jumped in to the A/C back that we got kicked out of...So I agree with you Whitelightning - That ain't camping - What us kid's did was camping! :-)

(Although I wouldn't trade the experience of all those summers for anything!! Dad's truck had 500K on it and the Chevy 350 engine had never been overhauled and was still going strong when it went to the grave. The body gave out - In fact, sitting in the front seat was like the Flintstones...You had to keep your feet on the sides because you could watch the road go by if you looked down!!) ahh, memories.

Reply to
IYM

My pop-up camper has all of that except the bathtub. It does have a really good shower. You don't have to get a huge travel trailer or motorhome to have all of the comforts of home. The best thing is that it fits in my garage and can be towed easily with my 2004 F-150 4x4.

Reply to
Mark Jones

No, but I did, because if you want to try to compare the two, you really need to compare apples to apples, otherwise what's the point?

Yes, the F-450 running gear is absolutely bigger stronger and more durable, and most of all the brakes are twice as nice, for all stopping, towing or hauling.

Reply to
My Names Nobody