ford 4 wheel hub questions

My daughters 97 ranger just had the hubs go out last week during a monster snowstorm in Minneapolis. The replacement automatic hubs will cost $900 to replace or about half of that for manual hubs. According to consumer reports, this is a common problem with ranger pickups. A local mechanic told me that the problem is that the factory packed hubs have grease that is way too thick in frigid climates that may cause the failure.

My questions is: Does my 2002 F150 Fx4 offroad have the same automatic hub design as the 97 ranger and prone to failure or was the design changed to something like GM uses?

One person told me that he thought Ford did change the design for the hubs sometime back.

Reply to
Ole

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 03:51:26 -0600, Ole rearranged some electrons to form:

The late model F-150s have solid "hubs", half-shafts and CV joints, which turn all of the time. The locking and unlocking is performed in the front differential.

David M (dmacchiarolo)

T/S 53 sled351 Linux 2.4.18-14 has been up 18 days 8:29

Reply to
David M

Thanks David:

I take it then that my 2002 has the design as you describe?

Reply to
Ole

As David stated, your 02 has CV joints. That is true of all F150 4x4s fro 97-03 and the 04 Heritage. The new model starting in 04 and up Has a Warn IWE (Integrated Wheel End).

Marlin Singer