Ford Edge

Ford Ranger Splash,then Sport,now Edge So now they use the same name(Edge)for a crossover vehicle? Did Ford run out of names ? I don't get it....

Reply to
franzsolo...

It's not the first time, before the Expedition there was the Explorer Expedition. I think it only existed for one year but in 1995 the high end Explorer Sport edition was called the Explorer Expedition.

Reply to
Jim Tiberio

Thanks Jim !

Reply to
franzsolo...

In the late 60's there was an F-series full sized pickup trim package named and badged "Ranger" used just as Lariat and Eddie Bauer are today.

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

Yep, the Ranger trim package existed until at least 1978, as my 78" Bronco was tagged with both the "Ranger" and "XLT" packages. I'm guessing that the XLT referred to the interior details, but I'm not sure.

Cheers, Ken

Reply to
kenb

I am reminded of the Galaxy 500 LTD of the early to mid '60s that dropped Galaxy and became simply the LTD.

They own the names (as a function of trademark rights), and they are known to recycle the names. The Falcon Fairlane of the late '50s and early '60s was reincarnated as the Fairlane in the '70s. The F100 trucks were once badged as Rangers.

You may have noticed the new Chevy Impala. The Impala was the flagship of the Chevy line-up at one time, but went into retirement for many years before coming back in the past few years as a completely new car, with a new spot in the line-up.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

There was also an F100 Explorer in the early '70's. That was before the F150 came into being to beat back the requirement for a catalytic converter in the mid '70's. The F100 ceased to exist when the Feds require cats on the F150 weight class and the full size simple became the F150 and the compact Ranger replaced the Mazda-built Courier. I saw the Galaxy name mentioned by another poster when I was in England a few years ago on a compact SUV type. Not a very fitting end for a once great name in automobiles.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

The names have to be used or after a period of time they fall into public domain. Example, the old dodge lancer has been grabbed by Mitsubishi.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Before that there were both Explroer and Expedition special model of the F150 (and F150 Rangers too).

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Plus, you have to remember that all Ford SUV's start with "E". That right there limits your name choices dramatically. Cars all start with "F", except for the Mustang, which is kind of untouchable. Mercurys all start with "M".

Personally, I think that they're making a series of very dumb moves, for two reasons.

First, their lineup is very confusing. Especially at Mercury, where both cars and trucks start with M. Does anybody know whether the Montego is a truck? Is the Mariner a van? The Montero is made by Mercury, right? Am I looking for a Freestar or a Freestyle? I can't remember. The solution to the Mustang name mismatch is clear - Just call it the Mercury Mustang and your problem is solved!

Second, they give importance to renaming their products (badly) which outweighs the value of what they have to give up. They had to hurry up and rename the Zephyr a "MKZ" before the Zephyr built up any brand identity. As if that was a BAD THING. You may have also heard that they woke up one morning a few weeks ago and realized that the Ford Taurus had been the best selling car they had for about 20 years, including 2006, when it wasn't even available to the general public. Whoops! It's never too late, and they're going to rename a product Taurus maybe.

I assume it is a case of misplaced priorities. It would be alarming that somebody working for the company would be dumb enough to think MKZ to fit in with MKX and MKY is a better name for a car than Zephyr, and MKX is better than Aviator, too, just on its own merits.

Anyway, I think Edge is pretty good. Compared to MKLT, Edge is a very good name.

Reply to
Joe

Cars all start with an "F" ??

LTD Windstar Crown Victoria Escort Taurus

I guess I see what you mean.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Maybe what was menat was: Ford LTD Ford Wondstar Ford Crown Victoria Ford Escort Ford Taurus, etc.

That way, they all - including trucks - start with an "F"

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

Well, to be fair, Mitsubishi is a Chrysler property. The Dodge RAM trucks of yesteryear were Mitsubishi trucks.

But, I believe you are essentially correct, they have to use the names they own, or risk losing them. Having said that, I can't imagine Chevy glomming onto a Ford product name that had fallen into disuse. I'm certain that in the example you cited, the name was exchanged because the companies share stuff.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

And Toyota provided the late model front wheel drive Nova, does that mean Toyota is a Chevy property? The Chrysler/Mitsubishi partnership started scaling back in 2000, and ended completely in early 2003. The Mitsubishi Lancer came out in

2002.

The break between the two companies might be the best thing that has come out of the Daimler/Chrysler merger. Since Mitsubishi can't figure out how to make an engine that doesn't burn oil and look like a mosquito control vehicle going down the road.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

You're right, "property" is the wrong term. It is a partnership. Having said that, there is ownership percentages that go along with the partnership. For example, Ford has ownership in Mazda, and GM has ownership in at least Suzuki (autos). I don't know what the ownership situation between GM and Toyota might be, but you are right, Toyota supplied the Nova. Weren't the Geo Prism and Metro supplied by Toyota too?

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I think he meant current mainstream cars:

Focus Fusion Five Hundred FreeStyle FreeStar

Except for the Crown Vic which they make primarily for Police, and the Mustang, which is made out of heritage.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

The Metro was not Toyota, it was a rebadged Suzuki Cultis.. The Prizim was a rebadged toyota sprinter, an upscale version of the corrola. What I always got a kick out of was the way everyone damned the Nova and Prizim and raved about the same thing with a Toyota badge on it. My understanding is its just a partnership with Toyota. GM owns interest in Isuzu, out right owns the old Daewoo line which is now the Aveo. There is so much blurring between Ford and Mazda its hard to tell where one ends and the other begins, which is really sad.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Don't forget the trucks called "4WD"...

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

The Freestyle is getting a makeover for '08. At that time both the Freestyle and the Five Hundred will bear the Taurus name. As far as Mercury goes, it's the Montego, not the Montero which is a bad Mitsubishi SUV.

Reply to
Jim Tiberio