Ford Escape anti-theft system going out

The car started shutting off today. It happened to us a few times, watched a clip on Youtube

and determined it was the anti-theft system. The indicator light is on.

If I take the ignition cylinder out, where can I take it to have it re-coded? A ford dealer, NAPA?

Or should I purchase a new cylinder and do this...

Any advice would be appreciated

CB

Need seasonal animation?

Reply to
Native

If I needed a new ignition lock, I would most likely go with the second method, just so I don't need two keys, one for the ignition and one for the door.

Are you certain that it's the cylinder and not the key? I haven't had it happen to me, but I've heard of instances where a sharp blow to the key can destroy the chip in it.

A good local locksmith should be able to do the programming for you, and may be cheaper than the dealer. I don't know if NAPA or any of the other parts places would be able to or not; a simple phone call would probably be in order :-) And the bad part is that even though one NAPA place does have the equipment, another store across town may not. I run into that here with the two local Advance Auto stores.

Good luck!

Reply to
SC Tom

I called Ford this am and found there is a third reason it may be going out (indicator light is out when I started it up this morning).

The parts chick (old school, sue me) said there's a 'transceiver' in the cylinder that may have took a dirt nap. Only a computer diagnosis would determine that, she said.

CB

Need seasonal animation?

Reply to
Native

Did you ever find out what was causing the problem?

Reply to
SC Tom

go with the dealer.

foolin with a factory system is a zero...the system thinks you're stealing the car.

Reply to
avagadro7