fuel system problem

ok I have a 91 ford f-150 and it has dual tanks I went to start it up one day and I didn't hear the fuel pump kick on when I turned the key, and engine would rotate but it would not start. 2 days later I tried it again and the fuel pump kicked on and the truck ran fine and then when I turned the truck off the problem came back again. I mix and matched the relays and I made sure the inertia switch wasn't popped, but still I can't get the fuel pump to kick on. I don't want to replace the pumps if I don't have to, because when the pump's kick on the truck runs fine, also I have dual tanks and neither of the pumps work and then magically it will just kick on and run fine. Does anyone have any idea? should I replace the inertia switch and get all new relays? any ideas are welcomed.

Reply to
mitsurugi3644

Check the grounds fro the fuel pumps, clean and tight

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

ok I'll check them and make sure they are clean and tight. I'm taking it the ground is connected to the whole wiring system and no just like to the chassis. Also if it isn't the ground and it is the pump. do I replace both pumps or what?

Reply to
mitsurugi3644

the green relay is the fuel relay.check for a broken wire @ the green relay plug

Reply to
state tech via CarKB.com

I replaced the tank and the pump and the fuel filter and I made sure that all the electrical connectors were in fine condition. I made sure when I had everything dissconnected that everything was getting power with a test light. I don't know what is the problem, because the pump still will not turn on.

Reply to
mitsurugi3644

I had the same problem on my '93. Check the switch on the dash, they only cost about $16. Sure fixed mine (after winding up with a very red face).

Moon

Reply to
sew1

Where did you get the switch at? autoparts store or ford dealer?

Reply to
mitsurugi3644