1988 F150 fuel problem

1988 F150 5.8 liter engine. It seems when I turn the key that I dont hear the fuel pump working, and my truck doesnt seem to be getting
enough fuel to kick over. I am told that I have more than one fuel pump, yet I hear nothing working?
Could this be a relay switch keeping the pumps from working? How many relays are there? I find it hard to believe that both pumps are bad. Is there anything else like another switch that i could check? I dont wanna go to all the trouble of changing pumps if it isnt bad.
Thread archive:

You've got the main fuel pump and one in each tank. I'd be willing to bet that it's the relay under the hood that's causing your problem. From memory, it's on the driver's side about half way back on the fender. There are two relays there. Again, if I'm not mistaken, it's the EEK relay that's likely your problem. I think I paid about $15 or $20 for one at the dealer about 10 years ago.
From www.rockauto.com - AIRTEX Part # 1R1294 $9.01

Dont forget to check the inertia switch, it could be tripped and just needing reseting. Not sure where on your rig it is. Look above the right side kick panel in the cab for a white button sticking up.
Whitelightning
On Fri, 09 May 2008 00:36:55 GMT, "Whitelightning"

It's behind the parking brake on my '88.

There is 1 relay that provides power to the pumps, and 1 relay that provides power to the engine computer. also the fuel pump has a safety switch that shuts off the pump in an accident, I have seen the safety switch trip for no apparent reason. find the safety switch and push the reset button first.
The problem was either the inertia switch or the relay for sure because I can hear the fuel pump working now! The only problem now is that it still doesnt seem to be getting the fuel to kick over? It has a new fuel filter. Is there anything else that I could try? EFI 5.8 liter
"JMack" wrote: > 1988 F150 5.8 liter engine. It seems when I turn the key that > I don't hear the fuel pump working, and my truck doesn't seem > to be getting enough fuel to kick over. I am told that I have > more than one fuel pump, yet I hear nothing working? > > Could this be a relay switch keeping the pumps from working? > How many relays are there? I find it hard to believe that both > pumps are bad. Is there anything else like another switch > that i could check? I don't wanna go to all the trouble of > changing pumps if it isn't bad.
If you have a pressure gauge, check the fuel pressure in the rail. also there is a second relay beside the fuel pump relay that powers the computer.