Ranger tires-- Sucess at last

Those of you who follow this group may have read or responded to my posts regarding the premature and uneven wear of the tires on my 20 Ranger XLT

4x4.

In a nutshell, the 245/75R16 Goodyear Wrangler RT/S tires cupped and scalloped causing a noisy and rough ride. Neither the dealer nor Goodyear would do anything. My last fight was last September.

Last week, with 5000kms left on the warranty, I went in with a list of things wrong as well as a list of TSBs gleaned from the NHTSA website. To my surprise, when I returned to pick up the truck, I had 4 new tires, free of charge. The TSB for exactly that problem was issued in January and it recommended replacing the tires with 255/70R16 ones.

Although I would never buy Wrangler RT/S tires, the price was right on these.

I know there are a few other guys out there with the same problem so check it out and see what you can get.

The dealer also finally addressed several other problems like high reving and a few clunking noises. They replaced the IAC valve and have ordered a new motor mount and sway bar bushings.

Glen Nova Scotia

Reply to
Glen Smith

mark schofield

Anybody have any issues on the Continentals found on the 4X2 Rangers? I recently rotated the tires, being at 10K, and an happy so far with the wear and ride of them.

Plasyd

Reply to
Plasyd

Mark,

I would suggest you spend the $20-30 to get the Wranglers put on and then go to your dealer. I'm not sure what luck you would have if the tires are off the truck but maybe.

The TSB was issued in January and although I didn't get to read it, the lady in the service dept. said it didn't give a reason, just a recommended solution. I first reported a problem with noise at just under 10,000 kms (6000 miles) and then it really got bad around 35,000 kms. Goodyear told me I should get 70,000 kms from those tires.

If I had been given a choice, I wouldn't have gone with the Wranglers but I can't complain.

Good luck.

Glen Nova Scotia

Reply to
Glen Smith

The Service Bulletin was specific to the 245/75R16 Wrangler RT/S found on the XLT 4x4. I haven't seen any complaints about the Continentals.

I found that reading the reviews at

can be quite interesting.

Ford recommends rotating the tires every 10,000 kms but I thing 5,000 is a better idea. I'll be getting mine done every time I get an oil change from now on.

Glen

Reply to
Glen Smith

My 2003 Ranger, 4 x 2, has 24,500 km on it. I've rotated the Continentals twice, balanced as well.

Nothing special about them. The wear seems normal,

If you can do it, rotate and balance every 10,000 km.

Why?

Well, why not? It's a $45 investment, to hopefully save $45 in bad wear.

I do the unthinkable by running these same tires in winter, having loaded

400 lbs. of bricks and sand in the cab end of the box. The tires did great last winter in a fairly heavy snow year (Georgian Bay).

Thought about buying winter tires, then thought about it again and decided bricks were cheaper if the performance held up.

Happy Rangering.....

Reply to
Windsurfer

configuration.

Reply to
mark schofield

I simply put two 80 lb sandbags in the bed last winter. Granted, the truck was only three months old at that point, with very good thread on tires, but I had no traction issues, and could do better than many SUV's on the road. I rotated at 5000 miles, so this is the second time I've done it. Also, I rotate in the full-sized spare each time.

Oh, live in the PACNW. We don't get enough snow to really worry about, but the ice storms can be a bit hairy.

Plasyd

Reply to
Plasyd