headlights

Is it really advisable to change both headlights at the same time?? I changed one a couple months ago & noticed package recommended changing both at once. Is this just marketing?

The other headlight is pretty old, possibly 8-10 years.

Pickup uses #6054 bulbs, one on each side.

82 F100
Reply to
stevie

My '81 uses the same headlights. When both are the same age, and one burns out, the other is bound to go soon also. When they reach 'old' the inside reflective surface has decayed quite a bit and does not reflect as well as it use to. The bulb filament has also decayed so it isn't putting out all the lumens it use to. Normally you can see quite a bit of difference in the color of the light when looking at it. The new one is bright and the older lightbulb is yellower/dimmer. So I suppose it comes down to just how well you want to see, as to whether/not you feel the extra money is worth it. One good thing to do is pull the power cord to the lights and make sure the contacts fit tight and are clean. Lots of dirt in/on the terminals can cause a less than perfect contact to the headlight terminals.

Dave S(Texas)

Reply to
putt

It is a very good idea. If nothing else, when the new ones get older and one burns out you have a spare to use till another burns out.

It is probably half marketing, half security and common since. It winds up being totally up to you, the owner of the vehicle. But remember, you are on the road with hundreds, thousands, millions of other Men, Women, and Children...is a human life worth the few extra bucks, it could be you or a loved one!

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Depending on where he's driving -

Moose