Help 2001 E-350 Driveshaft bolt

I'm trying to replace a bad u-joint in a motor home build on a Ford E0350 Superduty chassis. It has the star/spline type bolts holding the driveshaft to the differential. Picked up a a set of metric and a set of SAE sockets figuring one would fit. None do. It's around 1/2 in. Is there s special socket for this or are they just rusted small?

Thanks, nothermark

Reply to
nothermark

You need a set of External torx sockets, these are reverse design torx bolts. Sears Craftsman part number 009345700000 mfr # 34570 $29.99 Napa carries them individualy impact style running in the 5-6 dollar range.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Not to second guess you Whitelightning, but some of those bolts are 12pt.

7/16", and some are 1/2", instead of torx head.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Thanks for the memory refresh, you are correct, its hell getting old.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Tell me about it. I'm thinking of taking the mirrors out of my house so I don't see the old man in 'em any more.

Later,

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

I left out one other size, it is 12mm 12 pt.

See, I'm old too.

Later,

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

12 MM 12 point socket is the correct tool after going through a wrench display with a new bolt. I pulled the old one's with a Harbor Freight 13 MM mangled nut extractor because it fit and worked on the impact wrench. I now have a set of spline sockets and 12 pt sockets.
Reply to
nothermark

Glad you got it, dude, and your tool box just got better!

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader