Help! '92 YJ Starter Bolts??

OK, OK, I know there are those of you out the laughing but I am stumped. The solenoid (sp) on my 1992 Wrangler 2.5L has gone bad. I can only start the engine by giving a good solid "tap" on the solenoid. Then it starts fine. However, without the "tap" I just get a loud "click" when I turn the key. So, I gathered tools, crawled under the Jeep, and prepared to remove the starter so I could get a new one. What I found has me stumped! The starter bolts appear to be

3/8" heads but are of a "star" configuration that none of my 6 point sockets will fit on. When I tried to use a 3/8" boxed in wrench it appeared to fit but only at the top of the bolt head. When I applied pressure it slipped down. It appears these bolts are 12 point and tapered. What are they? And what special tool or socket do I need to remove them without damaging them? Your help will be greatly appreciated!! Please reply via email if you don't mind at snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

THANK YOU!!!

Reply to
Tim Cottom

Tim Cottom did pass the time by typing:

(replied in mail)

Tim is needing what's called an E- socket or star socket (the opposite of a torx or T-)

DougW

Yep,and then get rid of the bastards an install normal bolds.

HarryS

Reply to
HarryS