High gas consumption, is it normal?

Hi,

I own a 2001 f-150 with the triton v8 and i dont go much more than 186 miles (city) with a tank of gas.

Is it normal or there's something wrong with the engine? What can i do to increase millage?

thx for any advice

Mark

If you have a 10-gallon tank, that's fairly decent mileage. With a

20-gallon tank that's not so good. What size tank do you have?

To possibly improve gas mileage, is the air filter clean? Are the spark plugs good (probably with that new of a vehicle)? Are the tires properly inflated? I'm not sure, but a dirty fuel filter may degrade performance as well.

HTH,

-D

Reply to
Derrick 'dman' Hudson

I've got a '97 with the 4.6L, and a 24 or (?) 25 gal. tank. About 11-13 mpg is what I always get, or about 270 miles until it's on E. Check out

You'll find more info than you'll ever need!

Reply to
James

I`ve watched my consumption of gas since new and its averaged 16-18 and around 12-13 towing. Average tank of gas is in the 300 mile range. My truck is equipped with the 5.4L / auto with 3.55 gears and a 25gal gas tank. Its also chipped and mileage will go way down if you get lead footed alot. I guess with older age I have gotten a little more mellow on the slam the pedal down mentality. Your figure seems low for the model of engine and truck and I would have it checked. Buddy also has a 4.6l with manual and he can get almost 380-390 miles on a tank

Reply to
FordStyle

My truck is a 99 F150 with the 4.6L and the 93L (or close to that) gas tank. What seems to be normal for my truck in normal every day driving around town is I will go approximately 150km to 170km for the for the first 1/4 tank of gas (from the full mark to the 3/4 tank mark). Then I will get approximately 100km to 120km for each successive 1/4 tank (according to markings on the fuel gauge). On the highway the numbers are quite higher.

Lawrence

Reply to
Lawrence

Those gradient markings on the gauge are pretty meaningless till it gets to empty - they really aren't linear, just an approximation. My Superduty will go 250 miles on the first quarter, drop like a rock till last quarter, then go at least 200 miles on the last quarter. If you think your gauge is screwy never buy boat with a built in tank....those things are WWWAAAAAAYYYYY off.

Reply to
bomar