How difficult to do?

The shop estimate was $125 to change a couple dashboard backlights. My question is just how difficult is it?

Reply to
JOHN READ

You didn't tell us what vehicle, but on my old-timer Ford.....it is not a fun job. The instrument cluster must be removed/brought forward, to get to the little-bitty twist-in bulbs that illuminate the gauges. The bulbs install on the printed-circuit board behind the gauges. The first time I had to do this, I replaced only the bad bulb.....a mistake! The next time, which wasn't all that short a time between problems, I replaced all of them....a much smarter move. I recall my p-c board has

6 bulbs. Messin' with that instrument cluster isn't something you want to do very often....it's not all that difficult a job, just a pita one!

Dave S(Texas)

Reply to
putt

On my '78 F350 the plastic was all deteriorated and I had to put a dab of epoxy on the bulbs to hold them in place. I got them all to work but one false move and something would break or crumble.

Reply to
Ulysses

It's a little bit of work (depending on your dash setup) but not worth paying a mechanic's hourly rates. On my 96 Explorer EB it took 45 mins, and I replaced ALL the bulbs with red LEDs - looks real neat at night.

Be careful about dislodging the speedo cable or the tranny indicator though.

Reply to
Vito

Depends on the year of your truck...

80's vintage Ford trucks require removal of maybe 2 dozen Philips/Torx screws. and half a dozen mostly screwed in panels parts and pieces. Unscrew and remove the gauge cluster, twist old light bulbs out and twist new light bulbs back in. reinstall all parts and screws. It could take a reasonable mechanically inclined novice anywhere from 30 minutes to 90 minutes.

On my new 2005 Superduty most of the panels and pieces remove without tools (clips) and the gauge cluster requires less than half a dozen screws to remove. It could take a reasonable mechanically inclined novice anywhere from 10 minutes to 45 minutes.

Good Luck

Reply to
351CJ