Is there a tool for this?

Is there a tool to help install piston seals on a brake caliper? I am re-building my front brake calipers on our 92 F-150 and I am not having any luck getting the new seal into the caliper body. I have cleaned the ring were the seal sits, but it just doesn't want to go into place straight. I am thinking I need a press! Parts store guys say it just pushes in, yah right. And I am sure it is the right part, checked it with several places just to make sure. Thanks for any help, Mike

Reply to
M D

"M D" snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net wrote in message news:NK8Cg.1657$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...

Are you talking about the square cut seal, or the dust boot? The dust boot just pushes into place, and then you need compressed air and a blow gun, with a pressure regulator so you can cut the pressure back, lube the dust boot and square cut seal with clean brake fluid as well as the piston. keeping your finger clear of the caliper housing lightly push on the piston while applying air through the line connection to "blow" the dust boot over the piston and then push the piston into place. Too much air pressure and you can blow the dust boot out of its groove in the caliper housing. I sure hope those aren't the "phenolic" pistons, ie plastic ones, or you've really wasted a bunch of time and money. Same thing if they are steel and there are any mars where the seal rides. You can buy loaded pistons from NAPA for $49 a side, comes with a nice brand new steel caliper piston, new seals, all the mounting hardware and a quality set of semi metallic pads with life time warranty on everything, 15 minutes a side to replace, 45 minutes after the wheels are off your done. On the cheap you can buy unloaded calipers for $21.99, they have new steel pistons as well, and a life time warranty Add caliper hardware kits at $6.99 a side, and a set of good brake pads and your almost up to the loaded price. PartsAmerica carries Raybestos, my brand of choice at $55 a side for loaded with PG Plus pads, or $62 a side with SureStop pads. I would imagine walking in the door parts cheaper than the online "we will ship them to you free" price.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

The pistons should slide in without too much resistance. Sometimes it helps to use a hose clamp around the piston to hold the seal down but still allow the piston to slide into the cylinder. Put the hose clamp on just tight enough to compress the seal, then put the piston in place and slide it through the hose clamp until it slides into the caliper.

Maybe the hose clamp will have raw edges that can snag the seal. You can accomplish the same thing with thin sheet of plastic that you can wrap around the piston to hold the seal back as you insert the piston into the caliper.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland