Gears stuck

The other morning, I backed into my parking space at work. When I returned later that day to go home, getting the truck in gear was really hard to do. I thought I was going to break the shifter. It's the only time it's done that.

What would cause that?

I have a 2003, 5.4, 4X4, XLT.

Thanks for any insights.

Mike

Reply to
Michael

If you backed the tires hard against a stop,put the brakes on, and then put it in park the vehicle will rock slightly putting extreme pressure against the park tang when you release the service brakes, making very hard if not impossible to get out of park, This assuming an automatic tranny the one thing you didn't give us, what tranny. Two things to do will avoid this, one don't park hard against the stops wither backed in or pulled into a space, and follow the owners manual for parking, which is foot on brake, tranny in park, parking brake applied and then release the service brakes.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

I its an at tranny you may have pushed up against the curb and when you let of the brake to put it in park the pressure was placed on the gears ,it sometimes happens in places like san fransico where verry steep hills. trik for hills place emergency brake before placing in park and with the parking lot if you notice that you bump the curb just let of the pressure befor placing in park

Reply to
michaelscorner

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 23:12:39 -0500, michaelscorner rearranged some electrons to form:

Are you on drugs or something?

Reply to
David M