Low torque off the line, 2003 Ford F250

I have the 2003 F250 with a 6.0 liter Power Stroke with the tow/haul feature on the tranny. (crew cab, 4X4) I have noticed that after I've towed all day (fifth wheel) using the tow/haul setting, it seems like the tranny, after I've unhooked and an empty, is stuck in an inappropriate second or third gear for a while. When I am stopped at a traffic light and try to start up again the engine has little power and revs pretty (up to 3k rpm) high before something changes in the tranny and revs drop and the power picks up. On the road at speed there seems to be no problem. I have also noticed that occasionally this lack of power occurs with the trailer on. When I finish pulling, after about a week, the occasional trouble with the system seems to straighten out and the truck operates appropriately. When I take it in to the dealership for troubleshooting, of course the tranny acts fine. Other than this problem, I love the truck. Any insights will be appreciated.

Reply to
Jim Gemmill

Not being a transmission expert...but I have had two automatic transmissions fail over the years; and Oldsmobile automobile and a Dodge Cummins Turbodiesel. Before both failed they exhibited the same problems you are describing.

Forget the dealer, get your truck to a transmission shop.

Reply to
Advocate