Misfire

I have a 1997 ford Areostar with a 3.0 litre,the problem I am having is rough idle and I keep comming up with a misfire code . The EGR is new and is not showing as passing its tests as well as the catalytic is not sending an OK signal. I bought the van with 2 bad valves ,The valve job was done and it has never ran really smooth. Any Ideas?

Thanks Sean

Reply to
SLH

Start with the basics and work from there. Air, fuel, ignition.. The ignition timing could be off or the cam(s) could be mistimed. Who did the valve job? Did they just get the bare heads or did they do the entire job? Have you done a compression or leak down test??

Plugs/wires ok? Dunno if that thing has a distributor, but if so, is the cap/rotor/mag pickup ok??

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

Hey, if it has a misfire code and you feel a mis, maybe it has a misfire. Find out which cylinders are misfiring and go from there.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Ok here we go

I had it in to a garage the checked everything out, Compression (thats what gave away the 2 valves) checked to make sure that no wires were crossed. I changed all the plugs

I was getting P0301 misfire cylinder #1 and P0306 misfire cylinder#6

I purchased new wire set and 2 new plugs so that I could eliminate the plugs (If I was going to change wires I may as well change the plugs )

#1 plug looked fine I changed it any way #6 plug was loose and burnt so we changed it and ensured that it was tight .

I put injector cleaner in the system ( the garage checked to ensure that the injectors were firing as well as a pressure test )

The end result is that the engine still runns a little rough not near as bad and I have not recieved any misfire codes.

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" <skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net> wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
SLH

what temp is it running at? Best thing to do is get a 160 degree thermastat if you have the time. If your fan is computer controlled, you might think about reprogramming it to kick on at 160 degrees as well if you want your engine to live a longer life. The hotter an engine runs, the more rough it feel. The factory installs a 190 degree thermastats and some people say that's almost too hot. Running at or above 210 will noticably make your idle rough. If your engine runs near 210 the thermastat won't help because it should be open anyways and the fan should be on. If it is an overheating issue, try flushing your coolant system. Have your waterpump checked out and replaced if need be. Have someone make sure your fan is pushing enough air through for adequate cooling. Maybe install a new temp gauge to make sure it's accurate.

Reply to
Neoacumen