Motorhome fuel pump

The fuel pump on my 91 Southwind, Ford F53 chassis, is acting up. Engine suddenly dies in hot weather when fuel level in tank gets low. This is not an unusual problem, and it appears that Ford has finally built a pump that lasts. My choice is to buy a new pump, drop the tank and install the replacement. But I'm wondering about using an external pump. I talked with a Ford truck dealer mechanic who said I can pull fuel through the existing pump. Switch the existing wiring over to the new pump. The benefits: Don't have to drop the fuel tank; don't have to pay $360.00 for a new pump. The downside: will it work? Also, what after-market pump should I use?

Reply to
Jim Corey

Jim: If you can find a pump that you can use externally let me know. I to have a bad fuel pump that needs replaces.

I have looked at several pumps and have not found any that will "lift" the fuel out of the tank and pump it up stream. Most have high pressure output but there suction pressure isn't enough to lift the fuel out of the tank.

I'll send you a setup via E-mail some have done on here but all were using there weak old pump (Still in the tank) as a lift pump. I've looked at the Voltech pumps and a few others but have not found one that I through would work.

I hope you can find one to use outboard as it would save both of us a lot of trouble, time and cuss words.

Gene snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
FloridaRadio