Fuel Pump perhaps

Hi all. Had to call a break down service to fetch the 416 Auto (honda engine) home. Battery is ok and fuel in tank. Managed to drive it from car park to nursery to pick up baby (sympathy vote here) Picked up baby and then it conked out 300 yards later. Breakdown guy says it might be the fuel pump.

How would my garage handle this if this is the case? Replace tank? or cut the tank open and replace the pump?

There seems to be BNIB replacements on ebay.

All comments and advice welcome.

Thanks.

Arthur

Reply to
Davao

More likely they would unscrew the retaining ring, change the pump and screw it back together again.

Reply to
SimonJ

Mmm..sounds feasible...... Its the breakdown guys fault. he told me had the same car as me and it had a fuel pump problem and he said that he just bought a new tank.

Arthur

Reply to
Davao

Doesn't sound over bright for a recovery mechanic!

Its possible he had some problem with his tank, such as mechanical damage to the underside which has also damaged the fuel pump. but you don't normally need to change the tank because of a faulty fuel pump, there is usually an access panel through the floor, either under the back seats, or under the boot carpet, and the pump can be removes and replaced without having to drop the fuel tank.

Reply to
SimonJ

It could be, but more likely the relay that feeds it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If he's a *recovery* mechanic, surely he only needs to know how to recover a vehicle?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Perhaps I should have said roadside repair mechanic.

Reply to
SimonJ