OBDII Software?

That's lame. I asked you some simple questions. Are you too inept to answer them?

First; the OP made no mention of desiring a lowest cost solution. Second; I gave him a solution that is comparable in both price and capability to what he is already familiar with using on his VW.

But what the f*ck do I know, I've only been using scan tools for 30 years.

How many times do I need to tell you that that is wrong?

How long will it take before you realize that anything mandated by OBD2 WRT data retrieval and display is speced at the most absolute minimum there could possibly be and that in reality probably represents less than 10 percent of what one actually might need to access when a problem arises? As I've said before, the spec for the data rate is slower than what was used on a 1982 Chevy Chevette. One could grow a beard waiting for information to update relying solely on OBD2 spec performance.

Yeah, those paperclips are SO expensive.

So why is it that OBD2 connection ports are located underneath ash trays, behind coin trays and on the right side of the dash?

The consumer used to be able to do the same thing with a paper clip.

But then again, as you're finding out with your BMW, merely knowing the codes doesn't get you jack.

And the tool I recommended to the OP would cost him four times what you spent on yours. Thing is; he'd be able to program PATS keys if he needed, he'd be able to access any GEM modules is he needed. he'd be able to command various solenoids if needed. He'd be able to view fully deciphered mode 6 data such as live misfire on each and every individual cylinder -when- he needs it. He'd be able to graph multiples of any PIDs he wanted for as long as he wanted within the limits of his hard drive's capacity. He can view up to nine PIDs in meter style which he'd probably be able to see from his neighbors yard. He can view as many PIDs in grid style as his screen will hold.

My point is; I understood the OPs original post, you didn't.

My point is; buying a scan tool is just like buying a welder or an air compressor, if you think you can get by spending a hundred dollars, you'll just be wasting that hundred dollars.

It will not read codes on a Ford, it is not -required- to read codes on a Ford.

YOU bought a tool that claimed that it would work on all makes and models, that does not mean that all tools are required to work on all makes and models.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

I have never found any of the conditions you cite to be 1.) true, or 2.) relevent.

OBD II data ports are always, that's ALWAYS, in plain view in the driverside footwell along the bottom of the dash generally located above the left leg while that leg would be used to operate a clutch pedal -- whether or not there actually was a clutch pedal to operate. On a very few cars, the data port is behind a cover that clearly says DATA PORT, but it's still located generally in the same place. If one looks around in the driverside footwell, the data port will always be found. It does not matter that the date stream comes out at a bizzilion pits per second in an '82 Chevette, but comes out at 100 bits per minute in a 2010 Porsche 937, it only matters that P0130 always means the same thing when it is displayed, and all cars that can have the same problem display the same code.

Once again, I can get an education tomorrow and be smart, but no matter what happens, you'll be an idiot.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Well, Jeff, I really hate to jump off in this, but having spent 18 years looking for those damn connectors under the dash, I'll respectfully submit that all those connectors are not always right out where you can get to them. Also, just reading the codes isn't always best for the repair. It'll point you at the system, but really won't allow you to test the system the way a real scan tool will. So what? you say? Well, suppose the code points you at the O2 sensor. You go out and buy and $80 O2 sensor, change it out and the code comes back. What's wrong? With a real scan tool you can check to see if the heater in the sensor is working, or if it's even getting power. This allows you to check for a wiring problem or even an ECM problem. Can't do that with your code reader, and how would your neighbor feel if you put an $80, non-returnable part on the car when the real trouble was a chafed wire in the middle of a harness that only needed to be cut and spliced or maybe a bad fuse in the heater circuit?

You want to be a parts changer, the code readers work just fine. You want to be a real technition and fix it correctly, the scan tool's the way to go.

Reply to
Old Crow

I can see I started a lovely little fire-storm by asking a simple question... I'd say sorry, but that's sometimes the nature of NGs...

I'm guessing Vag-Com is not 100% compliant, and I'd really like to get the Ford (or more if necessary) version if one is made, for my laptop.

As the Vag-Com works so very well for my 2 VWs as well as all my neighbors, I was hoping to get the same idea in software for the Ford...

Does anyone know of such software that they've used and like?

Thanks

OldIron

P.s. Yes, I too know, as an aircraft mechanic by trade, that the computer fault/code is only the first step in the troubleshooting process. That said, without a useful diagnostic tool, shotgun repairs will ensue...

Reply to
OldIron

I've never used it, but I've heard very good things about AutoEnginuity with the Ford option. It costs about $400.

David Chamberlain