oil additives - should i use this one?

I have an older high milage truck. every once and a while when i start it i get a tapping noise, like either lifter tap or rod knock. goes away once the oil gets pumped around. sometimes i *think* i hear it again when I rev the engine but that could be anything rattling (someone here suggested skirt slap). of course when you try to listen for such noises, you tend to imagine hearing things.....

Anyway, one of my cars from long ago had a similar problem and we was able to prolong it's life by adding STP engine treatment. the stuff is like an ultra thick honeylike stuff. My father said that there used to be a product like it called "engine honey" I've seen other items like this also.

my two concerns are A) is the only purpose of this is to change the oil weight so it stays in the small gaps instead of draining out and B) I was told that while this makes the tapping disapear, it can also keep oil from getting into smaller gaps and cause premature wear due to lack of lubrication.

not a big concern except I plan on using it to tow camper 150 miles to oshkosh airshow and i am concerned that running that long will cause the oil to get warm enough to not maintain pressure.

Reply to
Tater Schuld

I've had some luck with a product called Rislone and a stuck lifter. Any of it is just putting off the inevitable. If the tap goes away a few seconds after startup, it's probably just a lifter that's slow pumping up. Rod knock would normally occur with a hot engine, and increases with RPM and load. It doesn't go away.

Reply to
gw

i'll agree but not always, we didn't find out till we spun a bearing. you would have swore it was a lifter by it's behavior.

would a tapping lifter be grounds to replace all the lifters? 6cyl 4.9 has (what appears) a separate lifter/lifter rod cover. easy fix?

Reply to
tater schuld

Sounds like you just need a minor valve lash adjustment. If it's going away when the oil pumps up, it's really nothing to worry about. This should not be a problem towing, or at high speeds. Heck, you know you ain't going to be burning that valve...I wouldn't bother with the snake oil. Just good regular oil, changed about every 3000 miles. If it's a rod knock, you have a more major problem, and the oil additive still won't fix it. Many "rod knocks" are not actually rod knocks. Can be the fuel pump, distributor, flexplate/flywheel, etc, etc also... A flywheel knocking has fooled many into tearing into an engine. If it's "really" a rod knock, "usually" disconnecting that cylinder's plug wire will cut the noise. A knock will come from the low end. A "tap" from valves will come from the valve cover area. Use a hose or whatever to zero in on it. MK

Reply to
Mark Keith