Overhauled E4OD on gears.

Well after several months of rebuilding the engine and trans the engine runs fine, but no gears on the tranny.

The superior shift kit was used, and mods made in the overhaul.

I filled the trans with 14 quarts and checked it and the fluid is clear up the stick. This would indicate to me from the lack of gears and the fluid being very high, the torque converter is not filling.

Does anybody have ideas/suggestions?

Thanks

Dirk

Reply to
Coyote

If you can check the line pressure, you will know if the pump is working. If it has line pressure, I would suspect you screwed one of the seals on the pump when you installed which I learned the hard way. Unfortunately, the SOB is too damn heavy to be bench pressing very often. Even with my trans jack, it is a pita. BTW, the Superior kit is the one I usually install. I hope you didn't go overboard opening the orifices or you are about to learn a new definition of a "crisp" shift.

Reply to
lugnut

I've subsequently found that I have NO..ZERO..NADA pressure. I got a rebuilt converter and it is now suspected to be an AODE converter. It was said to be an E4OD converter, but the part number also stated was F6AZ-7902-ARM. The only reference I could find on the net to that part number was for a 94-95 Mustang.

Would that even go into an E4OD?

Dirk

Reply to
Coyote
14qt may not be enought fluid. My E4OD took 17 to be full to the flange.
Reply to
Indianaradio
18.5 from a 'dry' start for 2Wd, 20 for 4WD

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

Thanks for the response Gary. This is the same job we discussed a couple of months ago.

I believe that since the dip stick is WAY up the stick that it should draw it in (maybe I'm wrong here) what I mean is that the level on the stick is half way up it. Are you saying that would be like that but still not draw it and that I should add more?

I disconnected the cooler line and get nothing with engine running.

Dirk

Reply to
Coyote

Follow up....Just added more fluid to 18 qts, it's now half way up the dip stick, and no gears.

Dirk

Reply to
Coyote

Sounds like pressure regulator valve is hung open and dumping all fluid back into pan or else pump is not picking up fluid for whatever reason

Your converter is NOT filling, because return from the converter is lube oil (rear-most fitting)

Did you have the pump apart ?

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

Yes, the pump was apart, cleaned and modified with the superior kit enhancements.

Dirk

Reply to
Coyote

Cool thread, please do not go to email if you guys can help it. :)

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

Yeah, I'm watching too...very interested in outcome.

Gerard

Reply to
geewhiz

that's has to give the OP some hope!

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

Well since everyone is interested ;)

Some of you may relate to what a nut buster removing an E4OD in your garage might be (fishing for sympathy here).

After removing the trans, and taking the suspect converter to a well known transmission supply house, we confirmed that the converter is for an AODE...NOT and E4OD.

Some people have bad luck....Some people good luck...ME!

Good bad luck. The AODE has the same number of internal splines, and same flywheel bolt pattern.

It was sold to me as a "E4OD torque converter. New".

It was a rebuild, but now that I'm also out several hundred dollars for the fiasco, I'm pissed.

Dirk....How much does a ticket to Jersey to fit someones concrete golashers cost?

Reply to
Coyote

Thanks for the update. Can't you get a refund/replacement?

Gerard

Reply to
geewhiz

Don't you own guns?

Reply to
Indianaradio

The converter was an Ebay real meal deal.

The butthead sent me an e-mail that said it IS for an E4OD and it would not have even fit if it were an AODE, and it must have been installer error.

If Jersey were not so far, I'd take a vacation.

I've now found that the lack of pressure for the short time may have toasted my new trans as I pulled the pan and found a few metal particles.

dirk

Reply to
Coyote