Part of Speedometer cable - What is it?

This is a 1988 F-150 pickup truck, 4WD with 300 six cyl engine.

My speedometer cable got ripped out of the transfer case when hay got jammed under the truck and around the front driveshaft. (also ripped out a brake line and some wires).

On the end of the speedo cable, there is a black plastic thing with 2 wires connected to it. This is bolted to the transfer case, with a gear inside the transfer case. the speedo cable connects to the end of this plastic thing. In the process of this "accident", this part was broken, and is separated, cracked, and ruined. Our local salvage yard dont have any vehicles older than 1999. This is the only salvage yard in this rural area.

This leaves me having to try to order the thing from a Ford dealer, or trying to get it from an online salvage yard. I'm sure a dealer would be costly so I'd rather do the online salvage yard option. The problem is that I cant find much information about it online, thus, have no idea what the part is called. The nearest Ford dealer is 28 miles from here, or I'd ask them (and likely be told they dont have information on such an old vehicle).

Can anyone on here tell me what this part is called. Like I said, it goes between the transfer case and the speedo cable, and contains the speedo gear.

One other comment. The local Car Quest parts store does not show it either. Their replacement speedo cable is different and connects right to the transfer case without this part, thus it's the wrong cable.

Thanks

Reply to
ervin-luck

I think it's a speed sensor. Most likely that truck used newer (at the time) computer systems that needed to know road speed but also still used the old mechanical speedometer requiring a cable. On newer vehicles there would still be the black plastic thing or similar but no mechanical cable and the speedometer would use the signal from the little black plastic box too.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Google is your friend.

"1988 F150 Speedometer Transmitter"