PCV valve removal

I have a 96 truck w/ a 5.8L. The PCV valve seems to be under the intake plenum squashed into a tiny space on top of the valve cover. If so, it isn't a standard looking PCV valve, so how do I remove it? My truck idle surges when cold and my best guess is that the PCV valve is plugged or restricted, so when the engine warms up and the blowby goes down the valve doesn't have to work as hard.

Reply to
carl mciver