Plastic in my Oil Pan - 2000 Ranger. Any clue?

I have a 2000 ranger XLT 4X4, 3.0 Automatic.

At Jiffy Lube they told me that I have some plastic in my oil pan, and they couldn't get it out. My local mechanic told me the real problem isn't that it is in my oil pan (there is a filter to stop if from doing and damage) but the question of where it came from.

Seems like a good question.

Anyone have any ideas of what I'm looking at here?

-- ______________________________ See me on the web!

Peter Owitz

I do not recall whether the timing gear in the 3.0 is all steel or encased but, plastic in the oil pan in some older models was a strong indicater that the timing gear was in failure mode and living on borrowed time. Check it out.

That said, there is no telling what you can find in oli pans. I had an '86 Escort that at about 40K miles, I was changing the oil and notice that very little oil had drained after I pulled the plug. I pulled the dipstick and found it was only a quart low but, still not draining - only dripping. A closer exem found the end of a bolt sticking partly out the drain. I pushed the bolt back in since I wasn't able to pull it on out. When I dropped the pan I found 15 bolts which were identified a the same as those used to attach the rocker cover. That was the only place those bolts were used in that engine and noone could every explain how they may have arrived in the oil pan of a new vehicle.

Reply to
lugnut

|I have a 2000 ranger XLT 4X4, 3.0 Automatic. | |At Jiffy Lube they told me that I have some plastic in my oil pan, and they |couldn't get it out. My local mechanic told me the real problem isn't that |it is in my oil pan (there is a filter to stop if from doing and damage) but |the question of where it came from. | |Seems like a good question. | |Anyone have any ideas of what I'm looking at here?

That used to be a sure ijdicator of timing gear failure. They used aluminum cam gears with plastic teeth to keep it quiet. Don't know if that's the case on that particular engine. Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

Jiffy Lube told you this? I would be very suspicious. JL is well-know around these parts for recommending unneeded service and for failing to replace oil plugs etc. If I were you, I run a couple of tank fulls through the engine, and then drain the oil myself and check it for plastic particles. If you find any, contact your favorite mechanic for advice. I'd also contact Ford and ask them about the timing gear. See if it's plastic or if plastic is used in its construction. If so, you may have a failing timing gear.

Reply to
Reece Talley

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 02:46:17 +0000, Peter Owitz rearranged some electrons to form:

Sounds fishy to me... I would guess some genius dropped the cap from the oil bottle into the engine the last time they changed it.

Reply to
David M